Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pick-up day next Friday. I'll leave to get my 67 hardtop 9 hours away. Can't wait.

The car is needing paint and will go for a coat soon after I get back.

I've narrowed it down to two.

Highland (Augusta) Green with satin black scoop and accents.. perhaps a LOW spoiler. I can't decide xr7 or eliminator scoop - both look great on these cars even though the eliminator wasn't available at the time so I feel a little..... unoriginal for lack of a better word. Wheels will be 16" magnums, torque-thrust, or SS.

Gloss black. Enough said. With same options.

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Gloss black looks great on Cougars but it might help to post the year of your car for more informed opinions. I'll assume it's a 68 since you're using 68 color names.

No hood scoop on an XR7 unless it was an XR7 GTE or XR7G. These two each had different scoops as well. The 428 cars all had a scoop similar to the Eliminator so adding one of those would still look original.

·
Registered
389 Posts
black on black.

and dont put a spoiler on it. they only do one thing on the 67s and 68s and spoil the car. they never were supposed to be on there and look like crap when they are added IMO

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Sounds nice! Imo, at least throw around the idea of going without the scoop. It seems every car that gets restored has one now and those 67/8 hoods are getting harder and harder to find. (soon, howevere, their may be a dynacorn repop)

You can always add it if once you get that baby all painted up and still can't live without it.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
When making you color choice remember black will show every flaw in the bodywork and will also show every speck of dirt. My Black Cobra take hours to clean properly. I love the color but hate the work.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I love the color but hate the work.

Yes, mine (well, the top of mine) is the same way. The gray looks great no matter what, but I can never get rid of all the swirls and scratches on the black. I love black so much, though. Next time I paint the cougar I'm doing it all with a more metallic black so it will hide scratches and imperfections a little better.

You could always two-tone your two favorite colors!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I will add my thoughts on color choices, BLACK :) . Ok I really am partial to the black on black color combo. The previous comments are correct black shows flaws and keeping it clean is a chore. I like hood scoops on 67 & 68 Cougars but I am not a fan of the rear wing type spoilers. I do like the molded spoilers like Sean has on his car. Chin spoilers I'm just not sure about. Local Hero has one and it looks great but others seem like after thoughts. Look through the galleries there are many great pictures to help you get a better idea of color choice, scoops and such.
Steven

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By low spoiler I meant the lip spoiler not the one on stilts.

I do love the black but worry about the same things you all mentioned.. showing flaws and the upkeep.. that made me venture to different colors.. but the green is still dark so I fear I didn't make it too far.

I've seen a good many cougars with the grille shot in black.. I think that black on black with the chrome trim looks sick. Any thoughts on it? My car is coming with two grille assemblies.. I could paint the one with the worse finish?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yellow, The new mustang Yellow would look awesome on it. Plus it is easy to get a hold of in the event of scratches or chips

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Augusta Green! I like the hood scoops too. I've had a few black cars and like everyone said a pia to keep clean.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Maybe a gunmetal would be a happy compromise? I realize it wasn't a factory color for the cougar.. but my car started life light blue w/ blue interior. It's already been completely converted to black interior.. so it won't be by code anyway! Sorry for all the questions. New to the cougar world.. just sold my two motorcycle projects to fund the car purchase.

Picked up some mach 1 wheels local.. got the guy down to $150 with 2 useable tires. Not bad if I do say so myself. Will give me something nice to roll on until I have money for my torque thrusts or SS's.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
BLACK - Nuf said.....it's not the most forgiving color no doubt, but nothing looks better clean! IMHO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts