Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i was wondering if the paint code 68 presidential blue or 68 wellington blue is the same as paint code x on my 69 vert. Which wold be the best brand to use as cat is being painted this spring. thankls all kevind

·
Registered
391 Posts
KevinD:

I checked the '69 Dealer Color-Upholstery Selections Manual and Code X in '69 is a dark blue metallic, but it's listed as not available on Cougars. I also checked Cougar---By The Numbers to confirm that it was not a regularly offered color.

And sorry, I'm not enough of an expert to answer your "which brand of paint is best" question.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but according to the Marti report there were three code x verts, mine is one, it says dark blue metallic but I can find no factory code for paint mixes so wondering if the above are the same color but under different names. kevind

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
So, you have a special order paint 69 vert...COOL! It should be the 69 color that was available on other models. I don't think it would be the year before color.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Does the Marti Report give you the FoMoCo paint formula number (usually two letters and for digits, I think)? That would help you determine what exact shade of dark blue metallic it is. And I agree with Jeff, a special color car is cool and rare.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not have access to the Marti report, we are in the process of moving, but in photos I have of it I can see no code, it says code below but not there...I am thinking from the link below that it is presenditial blue. I welcome any suggetsions thoughts. Anyone have thoughts about painting engine bay the same color or it sacreligious to do so? Just asking.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?type=paint&paint=12144&wtcode=M3061&smodel=Mercury&syear=1969&smanuf=Ford&sname=Dark Blue

·
Registered
391 Posts
You're probably right, the original owner just wanted a dark blue and that was readily available, so the choice was made.

As far as painting the engine to match: it's your car, so do as you like. Personally, though, I think it looks better black, rather than body color as on Chrysler products. Plus, it shows less dirt/fluid/crud.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Ford Dark Blue is the correct engine color.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts