Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been reading up on all the threads that contain harness/sequential problems for the past couple weeks, as well as painless/ez kits. So far everyones against installing a kit. Why hasent anyone been able to adapt a painless kit to a solid state sequential module? (or have they and I havent found it yet?) I rescued my 68 cat in 96 from a bunch of tweekers. They hacked the wiring under the dash & the hood all ta hell. Ive started adding a few things like "probe" doors, electric ign, & 1 wire alt. I plan on adding of H1-H4's, trunk pop, elec windows/fans & gauges, etc, im thinking a new kit would be better. Id like to get everything working so i can yank the car apart and do all the welding and body work.

·
Registered
542 Posts
you sound like you are in the same boat as me with the exception of the wiring being all jacked up. I think that I am gonna buy the new control box from WCCC. I could try to chase all of the problems related to the stock sequentials and end up paying the same amount that I would if I just bought the new module. I like some of the mods you are planning. Especially the pop open trunk.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
With the price and huge amount of work why would you tackle the painful system? The original looms and components are inexpensive in comparison and easy to locate. Send in your looms and we can repair them!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the control box. My only concern is adapting the kit to the control box, everything else is easy. The car is striped inside, no interrior/engine. Theres not much harness left to send in. I would basically have to buy a stock one and reinstall it. Everything is gone. Door switches/courtesy lights, brake switch, heater controls, radio, dash.........even the 40' of vacuum hose and canister is gone! lol. I do have the trunk & head light harnesses. But ive already built a harness for the H1-H4/Probe conversion so I wont need that one.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The paindiazz harness' are basically for Rod's and the like that have aftermarket stuff going in - EZ is a bit of a stretch!! But if you are very handy with electrical and wiring, don't mind adapting everything along the way incorporating everything into yours, you can at least modernize your car at this point. Using beefier wires and adding more circuits for wizzbang stuff. I'd include good audio stuff while I'm at it....it's not going to be "easy" LOL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No....I wasnt expecting it to be "easy" per say. But pretty much everything is going to upgraded. Everything stock is pretty much gone. Not the original engine even, so im not doing it any injustice. :) YES, the audio will be run a long with the rest of it. Didnt really like the idea of over laying another system on top of the old one since everything will eventually come off it for welding/tubing/body work.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If you want to integrate the sequential's into it - you may want to look at either the retrofit solids state ones - or look into the units they sell for late model mustangs now that do the same thing....test it to get it working before you commit to using it (LED based).....just a thought

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Ive been reading up on all the threads that contain harness/sequential problems for the past couple weeks, as well as painless/ez kits. So far everyones against installing a kit. Why hasent anyone been able to adapt a painless kit to a solid state sequential module? (or have they and I havent found it yet?) I rescued my 68 cat in 96 from a bunch of tweekers. They hacked the wiring under the dash & the hood all ta hell. Ive started adding a few things like "probe" doors, electric ign, & 1 wire alt. I plan on adding of H1-H4's, trunk pop, elec windows/fans & gauges, etc, im thinking a new kit would be better. Id like to get everything working so i can yank the car apart and do all the welding and body work.
You could probably use the kit from Mustang Project that is designed to convert 67 Mustangs to Shelby style sequentials, particularly if you use the Painless kit for a Mustang

Here's an idea on where to put all your extra switches

left to right - trunk, fogs, engine fans, rear demist, a/c on

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Leon, ill look into the 67 Mustangs to Shelby style sequentials idea. Question for ya tho, why do you have a switch for the courtsy lights? Dont you have door switches for that? My cats a standard, so I dont have A/C (yet) or rear defog, or fog lights. Im thinkin of finding a center console i like from a newer car and adapt it and hide what ever switches ill have in it. Being that my cat is that far gone, its gunna be mostly custom if I ever get the funds up!
I already have the solid state sequential unit. I was hopin ta find someone that has adapted the painless to the solid state so I wouldnt have to "trial and error" it. Im sure ill figure it out, but hey, if someone's already done it and it works, why put myself through it. I just need to find them and have'em spell it out for me! lol

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am doing a full body rewire with a Ron Francis 24/7 on my 68 XR7. I am using the TS-1
universal sequential box from Cougars Unlimited. Seems to be pretty straight forward on how to hook it up. Just let them know what harness you are using and they will draw up a diagram for you. I don`t have my rear lights quite done yet, so its not a done deal, but I don`t see any problems.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Courtesy light switch is just an XR7 - doh dah

Problem with early models is that there is a separate flasher can for the front lights and dash indicator. There is a constant signal to the rear lights. You can't wire like a mustang where (over simplification here) the 12V circuit runs into the flasher can and then through the indicator switch to the lights

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx Ekema. That Ron Francis looks nice, but a little outa my price range :/ Think they would hook me up with a schematic without buying one of their harnesses? lol

Good ta know about the constant signal going to the rear Leon. I assumed as much. Unfortunately I have no signals to the rear of the car at all so I have nothing to test. Im thinking I should get everything working, at least powered up to see what else doesnt work, ie tail, brake, running, Backup lights & switches. I replaced all the bulbs & the column harness so far, so thats about the only things im sure of thats good. I have the old sequential blinker unit, two actually, and theyre different from each other, so I figure one died and the other being a diff model, didint work!?!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I already have the solid state sequential unit. I was hopin ta find someone that has adapted the painless to the solid state so I wouldnt have to "trial and error" it. Im sure ill figure it out, but hey, if someone's already done it and it works, why put myself through it. I just need to find them and have'em spell it out for me! lol
I've sold many sequential units to folks who have converted to Painless wiring systems.
The easiest unit to install is my TS-1 system. This system is the same one used in the
1969-73 Cougars. For any system, you will have to construct a tail light harness.
The TS-1 unit requires 3 additional wires to be run from the turn signal switch to the
trunk in order for the sequencer to detect turn signal vs brake light operation. This
allows the unit to avoid sequencing the brake lights and override them during a turn.

An original (or one of my electronic replacements) can also be installed with the Painless
wiring but it requires an additional 14 ga wire for the brake light power and four 18 ga
wires for the right/left turn signals. It also requires two relays wired up to control the
dash lights. The constant voltage Leon mentioned is also required for correct operation.
Otherwise, the unit will go into emergency flasher operation (center lights only). A
schematic for customers is available upon request to [email protected].

The Ron Francis wiring conversion is similar but they don't provide the HD 16 ga turn
signal wires found in the Painless Mustang kit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info Vic. Much appreciated!! Will you be the one that answers my email when I send it? :)
The link above was just to show what I had. Is the TS1 your refering to the C8WY-13A366-AS for the 68? Thats the one I have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, & I just looked at my receipt and realized I got it from Barganspot, which is your ebay store correct?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, I'm the one who answers emails to [email protected].

Not, the TS-1 unit is a different unit derived from the board I designed for the '69-73 Cougars.
The C8WY-13A366-AS is a complete system unit for a 1968 Cougar. installing it in a Painless
system is described in the second paragraph above. It is a requires a little more work, wire, and
parts than a TS-1 installation.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Barganspot is an independent ebay-store dealer that offers many of my parts.
It is owned and operated by Kim Paulson from Albuquerque, NM.

My focus is on the developing new products and the wholesale end of the business,
so I have a network of dealers that stock and sell parts that I have designed
and manufacture. I also provide technical support for these products.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, turns out part of the reason for the lights not working is that the side marker & front signal light sockets are missing. Courtesy light wires in the harness have been hacked up as well. The farther I dive in, the better it gets.......NOT! I wonder whats missing in the rear? I shall see............

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right on! Good ta hear, & yes, I dealt with Kim. Very nice, & prompt!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts