Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, after I replaced the PS pump a few months back, when I turn the wheel all the way to one end, the pump squeals like a pig (I think the pulley is slipping), but the other way it just stops like it should, any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Tiffany does the same thing.... My Pops used say that you really shouldn't pull the wheel all the way to one side or the other 'cause it burns up the pump... he was old school mechanic
for lincoln/mercury for fifty+ years....

my.02

Don

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Could be those bubbles:1poke: :1poke:

Don

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, thats the truth, but I heard something about "stops" and was wondering what those were.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The pump has a relief valve that relases pressure when the steering reaches its stops and it sometime squeals. Keeps the pressure from building too high and blowing seals and hoses and such. I wouldnt worry too much about it as long as the belt is tight and not doing the squealing. mm

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Make sure you're running TYPE F tranny fluid in your power steering system NOT the crap labelled "Power Steering Fluid" at the parts store...

You run the new power steering fluid, and you'll squeal like ten little piggies going to market.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol Logan, yeah I'm using the Type F fluid. But still it squeals like a pig giving birth... kinda embarasing, car sounds mean with the Flowmasters, then I turn the wheel and SSQQUUUEAAAKKKK! Performance :D

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
zakly:1poke: :1poke:

Don

1 - 15 of 15 Posts