Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys you've probably all seen this as some time. My passenger side rain rail in rotted out right in the middle. I've chipped off as much rust as I can with a small chissel, then used a wire brush, after that I put of some rust petrifier. I didn't do any sanding yet or anything. Whats my next step? I would like to do the work myself so I gain the experience. Does anyone have a step by step? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot guys!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some pics. When it was sitting outside during a deployment I had a car cover on it, but when I returned 9 months later it was gone... Anyway, the rail rotted good enough to have traveled down my window frame, and down the door jamb, and puddle next to the kick panel. So, not only is the rail shot, but my perfect floor pan has rotted out as well. I'm having someone come over tomorrow to look at it. My welder is only for heavy duty stuff. It'll burn that 18gauge floor pan like nothing. If anyone had any info on these 2 subjects I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have a kid coming in June so I'm gonna get everything fixed instead of "that guy" who has to get rid of his toys to buy diapers!!!! Lol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Maybe you could get a donor drip rail section from a parts car. I'll bet someone on this forum has, or knows of someone who has, a 67 / 68 parts car with a damaged roof. If you can acquire a section piece, it would probably be best to get at least 12" to 15" so that you can cut and trim as needed. You may need to cut several inches of your Cougar's roof rail away to get into good metal... rusty metal doesn't weld very well. And, a 2nd on the TIG.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill check out the parts listing in the mean time, if you come across a passenger rain rail for my car please let me know!! Thanks!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Give WCCC a call - they may have a small section like that available. It wouldn't take a guy with a mig or tig long to patch that up for you.....as for the floor pans, have you checked that your not leaking water via the cowl? Very common area to rot and then it runs inside the car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea the cowl is fine; I noticed some rotted rusty area in my door jamb. It looks like it leaked all the way down there and puddled right under the kick panel...FML. I might do a quick rust petrifier and some light bondo and sculpting in the meantime so I can at least drive it and not worry about it getting worse. Then in a few years when I go to paint it I will address that later. However, I do need to get the floor pan replaced. Once I get my new headers, that actually fit this time, I can finish the rest of the install and get a guy to tune my 347 EFI. That way I can drive it to a shop and have them weld my floor pan for me.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
630 Posts
it would probably be cheaper to buy a welder that can run gas you can get one to do what you need for 400 or less , i would talk to wccc to see about getting the sections of roof u need , its mostly the roof and its edge that mates to the rail although i see the rail under neath is gone also which you could patch then either make patches for the roof or get the pieces you need . depending on how much floor needs replace you may want to do that before exhaust is installed if its not already

1 - 8 of 8 Posts