Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang - just wanted to run this by you. My 69 351W power steering pump squeals, but is not low on fluid. When I fill it, fluid is always push out the top of the tube. Does this sound like the shaft or seal in the pump may have gone and is pushing out the fluid? Any chance that the problem is really in the p/s rack?

The pump is a few years old, the belt is new, is plenty tight and there are no other leaks in the system.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
My first guess would be that you're using the newer "clear" type power steering fluid. That stuff will cause your pump to squeal...

You should be using Type F tranny fluid in your power steering pump.

Your belt may be TOO tight. You should be able to push the belt down with your finger about a 1/2" in between the pullies.

You may have air in the system, which you can fix be just cranking the wheel side to side a number of times with the motor running.

If all that doesn't work, your pump is hosed, get a new one. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, absolutely using the newer type clear P/S fluid.
Totally forgot about this! Been so use to dumping the new stuff in newer cars, it never dawned on me.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Damn I'm good. :D

If the fluid hasn't been in there too long, the squeal will go away once you've flushed it out and put Type F in there.

If you've had it in there for a while, the squeal may not go away and you'll need to replace the pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts