Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how many people are interested in a way to get rid of the valve and ram setup? I am currently working on a conversion that uses a power gear box. There are some modifications, but not too bad. The Mod requires manual steering to be on the car. So, the link, idler arm and pitman arm get swapped out on power steering cars. Then you replace the box. The mod does require welding, best done with eng out. I imagine it would be impossible to do w/ a BB in the car. I know it works on these cars, I saw it in a Boss429 Mustang.

Cougar Bill

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
man bill i sure am and so is my buddy john schnieder.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Sounds like one of the best things to do. What box are you using the saginaw? I always thought about trying the 79-93 Mustang power rack but keeping it in the rear steer config would be tough. mm

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
Armstrong steering .......

Yes Bill I am definitely interested as well. I have the BB and NO power steering. I was considering robbing a parts car to install PS on my car and would consider any other ideas.

As I get older the wheel gets harder to turn.........

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Yes post what you do. I always want to look at options. The original on these is weak link.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I'm seriously considering popping the bucks for a Mustang II IFS and re-re-restoring the front end of my cat, shaving the shock towers and dropping the new FRPP 5.0 mod motor into my cat...

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Logan what you need is another cat!:D That way you can start from scratch and build ground up. I love spending other peoples money.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
changing to manual sterring

wouldnt the manual control valve adapter be cheaper and easier. Its only 120.US or so, and no welding or alignment, and it gets rid of the ram and power valve, and pump, and all the leaky lines.
Can get it at Canadian Mustang, or any other mustang vendor.
Rick

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rick, I have heard from over 3 people these things don't work. Besides I am trying to get rid of all the junk, and make the cars steer/feel better

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Ok, cool Bill. I have one on my car and its great. Ive had no problem with it and had it on for 3 years. Its a ***** to turn when the cars not moving, but if your idea is better, I will definately be interested to take a look.

Rick

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rick, that's exactly why I am working on this. I want all the ease of P.S. and not all the slop of the original system.

·
11,000 Posts
Questions

Bill,

So you are trying to install 1971 Cougar steering on a 1969 right? I can't imagine it would be worth the trouble. You are installing a recirculating ball type steering box just like the one you are removing, only difference is it will have integrated power assist. It will clean up under hood appearance but steering play will be unaffected, it will have the same amount as the old system. Remember, the play at the control valve is not present when the unit is pressurized.

Advantages to the integrated unit are fewer hoses and more ground clearance.

Why not just install one of the many kits available to replace the steering with rack and pinion? It will cost slightly more but will actually make the car steer like a modern one. It would also be a lot less hassle and time.

Another consideration will be exhaust clearance. There will be serious problems trying to get big block (390-427-428) exhaust to work on the steering box side. The 67 - 70 frame rails are closer together than 71-73 and there was never an FE offered in those years. Should not be a problem for 351 engines. Most header manufacturers have one part number for 67 - 73 351 applications.

Personally I have no problems with the original system in hundreds of thousands of miles in the past 29 years of Cougar ownership. Biggest issue is when headers are used and the steering ram is installed using a drop bracket, that requires extreme caution when negotiating railroad track crossing points.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Royce

We use integrated recirculating ball type power steering boxes for our right hand drive conversions. The ram style is also available and was fitted to the 69 when I first got it

The integrated box is significantly better, has a more direct feel and is virtually maintenance free. Would never go back to a ram set up

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Bill

I'm following up on a local engineering shop that has developed a coil over shock set-up for early Fords. It allows the shock tower to be cut right back to current Mustang width. Not sure what they do with the steering set-up

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Royce, the box I am using is not from a Ford product. It is very similar in shape and size as the original. This will only require 1 high pressure hose& 1 low press, no ram or valve.
I will have the box back from the rebuilder in a few weeks. Unfortunately this will have to wait until the AOD conversion on the convert, and the Boss gets back on the road after a front end restoration. Then I'll have time to install it in the RestoMod.

·
11,000 Posts
Sounds interesting, keep us posted. Too bad the TCCN is going away or you could post an article there.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well,

I am bringing this post back from the dead B/C I am interested in doing just this conversion. PM has been sent. BTW stopped the order on my Unisteer R & P but I am still following the thread on stangnet, just couldn't give up on my power steering just yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking at a Toyota steering box

There is a guy here that wrote about a installation of a late 70's early 80's Toyota Cresida steering box install. I wrote to him a few times...real cool guy and very helpful. I found all the parts I need and am looking things over now. The only concern I have is the pitman arm. It will need to cut in half and modified. Make me a little nervous.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts