Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The spring time started out fine except my temp gauge was sitting quite high while driving normally. I figured that maybe my thermostat was pooched so I replaced it. Well, that changed nothing. Then I changed my sending unit. Again no change. I found that my oil pressure gauge was acting funny so I decided to change direction. Thinking the problem may be in the instrument voltage regulator, I have decided to change that out. That was not fun at all. The reason I though it was the volt. reg. was because the needle on my gauge was burying its self. But I would stop and get no boil over at all. Just last Sunday (July 8th) we took the car to a show 2 and 1/2 hours away. The needle was buried most of the drive and when we parked there was no boil over. HELP please. Thanks ,Dave.

·
Registered
42 Posts
looks like you've replaced a few things I would have, however you have some more trial and error things to attempt ;)

Try these

Burp the system (if there is air in the cooling system at all, it will overheat) -- Learn how on you tube if you don't know how
Change the lower rad hose (if you don't have the proper coil inside the hose, it will collapse and cause heating issues)
Water Pump (yup, ford's/mercs water pumps are notoriously junk, you may have to replace it)

I'm running a 351c in my 67 Cougar and it's running normally under all conditions except sometimes during idle in the garage it heats up to 3/4 but never over heats.

I'm running a stock water pump, stock thermostat, stock rad, after market rad cap, 50%/50% anti freeze to water ratio and an after market set of rad hoses (both tops and bottom with coil springs inside)

I was also having heating issues until today and "Burping" the system solved everything ;)

Good luck

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Don't put all your eggs in the temp guage basket though....find out what the temp really is.....they seem to show "hot" pretty frequently and that may be do in part to the sender unit if it was replaced not being quite right

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will first put a gauge in place of the sending unit to get a true reading. Then I'll know the true temp. Like I said, I drove 2 and1/2 hours in extreme heat last Sunday and performance didn't suffer and no boil over.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered a Weiand water pump. That is something I wanted to do for a while.( Scrap the rebuilt original). I'm going to order the restrictor plate from Don also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts