Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rebuilt 302 with redone HiPo heads from a 65 289 over heats at various times. New radiator, thermostat, hoses, high output water pump, you name it - it's new on this engine. The original 289 would also overheat as well. Is this a common thing with these SB engines? What about a three row radiator instead of the two row I now have? Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
whats the timing set at on the car?? what about the carb mix? that can cause them to overheat too. my 351 with AC never ran hot even with its old 2 core radiator. after that one bust i put in a 3 core and its great now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 302 was overheating also. a fan shroud seemed to fix that. It could be a cheap solution if you do not already have one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
To good of a cooling system

Once I seen a cooling system that flowed so well that the water flowed through the radiator way to fast and didn't have a chance to cool the water. First I would check the thremostat, make sure it is good (may be defective). Also is it a new radiator? It may have one to many rows blocked off. Besides that you should be cooling fineI have a mean motor myself it goes no further than 180 degrees.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Fokker, that flowing too fast to cool it therory was going around the circle tracks years ago. I dont really belive it unless the radiator is way too small for the application to begin with. I've seen every combination tried you can think of. I think the therory got credit from guys running stock pulleys and pumps at high rpm. What really was happining was the pumps were cavitating at that speed and were actually not flowing water very fast at all, it stopped happening when the water pumps were slowed down with underdrive pulleys.

I think more info is needed to correct cuga67 problems. Like when dose it overheat? after long idles, highway speeds, etc.mm

·
Registered
168 Posts
the flow thing

Yeah it was a small 1 row core radiator and an open thermostat. I ended up putting a 2 row core radiator in it and a 180 degree thermostat. Dont know wich it was but it fixed it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts