Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I live in Southern California I really to fix this before summer comes. I have a 1968 Cougar with a 351C 2V, a 20" 4-row radiator, a flex fan and a shroud. The car has no trouble when I'm moving but when I get stuck in traffic in roughly 70 degrees or up weather the temperature starts to rise and rise. Any ideas on what I should do? Electric fan maybe?

I'm also on a budget which makes things hard.

Thanks for your help, guys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and I just had the radiator rebuilt.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Very common issue on the clevo's Brian...that restrictor has to be there and to often gets left out! Flex fans aren't the best for stop and go. A good clutch type fan is much better. Also you need a fan shroud - especially when idling around.....

·
Banned
89 Posts
ditto on the clutch fan, flex fans are not great.

now a big misconception is that a thermostat that opens at a lower temp like 150 is better, wrong, the coolant isnt in the radiator long enough to cool down so make sure its not just stuck closed but also stuck open. change it its a cheap fix.

make sure the radiator cap is GOOD and seals right, and isnt too low pondage, if the car calls for a 18 lb dont use a 12, any leak drops your boiling point.

make sure your shroud is right and complete, belts are tight and not slipping, etc.

last make sure your gauge is right!

if all else fails try a high flow water pump, i have never seen any engine that wouldnt stay cool as it should on the stock system.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If you change the thermostat, don't use the one that the parts store monkeys will try to hand you. It will be the wrong one, I guarantee it. I have searched high and low for the correct one and I believe that there is only one company remaining that makes the correct one, that I can find anyway. It has a "hat" on the bottom that mates up with the restrictor in the block. That is the reason that most people have issues with Clevelands overheating. Without the proper thermostat, the water is not directed properly. This is the only correct one I have been able to find http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRA-333-180/. It is the one I am running and so far the engine has not gotten above 190°, and that was with me trying.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had the same problem on the Mustang.....With the exception of the 4 row, I had a 3 row 20" radiator. It would not keep the car cool. I bit the bullet and bought a 3 row 24" radiator and that fixed it.
I would try the themostat 1970fastcat is speaking of before going with the 24".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts