Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrite my question is, i use my cat as a daily driver so i drive everywhere in it. recently i have noticed that my radiator has been spittin coolant after longer drives. I have also noticed that it makes a sort of "groaning" sound a few seconds after i turn the car off. i popped my hood, turn the cat off, and heard the groaning coming from the top of the radiator where the excess coolant exit hose is...have any of you guys ever experienced this??

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i hear a bit of a gurgle too after the car is turned off sometimes. ive always just chocked it up to air in the system though. id still need to check it out though to be sure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
guess im not the only one then...the noise comin from my cat is more like a "whine" that can be heard outside of the car...i dont know what it means but im gonna go to this local shop to get it checked out.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
its pretty normal especially here in old ca desrt areas for that to happen since there isnt a catch bottle plus the pressure buildup releasing through your vent. you could help the eviorment and the problem by installing a surge tank from the plastic type universal sold ala pepboys or the really kewl chrom ones sold in most hotrod shops. Not saying you dont have a worn out tired radiator by all means but my newer three row does that as well as the tbirds.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so this is normal then? should i have anything to worry about? when you say surge tank, is that the same thing as a reservoir?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Yes, a surge tank is the same as a reservour. Is your rad cap good. Turn it upside down and check the gasket, if its cracked, its bad, replace it with the proper one (sorry, cant remember the pressure).

Rick

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
i think it is the 7 lbs of pressure anything else you will really start to see some fluid drain.

·
11,000 Posts
It is 13 pounds of pressure. If you use a recovery tank get a cap designed for coolant recovery.

Be sure to only fill the radiator to the point that the fins are barely covered, about 1 inch below the cap.

The groaning noise happens when the engine cools and the cap allows air to be drawn back into the tank.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
okay then if you use the recovery tank it must be 7 lbs i new it was one or the other just could remember off hand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts