Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my daily driver with a new car a couple months ago, but part of the deal with my wife was that I couldn't continue to hog the garage with both my babies. I wasn't about to leave my new car outside and my 68 XR7 needs a paint job anway so it got the short end of the stick. :( The majority of the work I have done on it so far has been under the hood in form of a new crate engine and some polished aluminum and chrome. I bought a nice Noah car cover and figured everything would be ok. Since I've been struggling with a charging problem and enjoying the new car I have not had the cover off in a few weeks other than after a rain to let it dry off. I went out this morning to work on it and found the engine compartment looking horrible due to condensation. All the nice new bolts have a coat of rust. The chrome is starting to develop rust spots, and the polished aluminum is covered in a white oxidation.:cry: I did have a coat of wax on these parts. 1st, What is the best way to clean -up the polsihed aluminum valve covers, etc? 2nd, Who else parks outside with a car cover and how do you deal with this problem? Is there anything that can be done? Thanks for any help.
Mark

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I don't have a garage so I went hunting for storage in August. My hope was to find a barn with space but got lucky and have a client that is giving me a space in his heated garage. He just built a new 5 car onto home and this is his older detached.

You are in a high humidity area it is going to need air circulation.

My advise is to at least find coverd storage.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that there is some sort of oil you can 'paint' on to objects to prevent rust, it has to be something that does not allow any oxygen in. Also its important to remember that it gets hot under a cover, so moisture will develop and that is what you want to prevent, you should take the cover off during the day so that the moisture can evaporate or dissapate or whatever the word is. I was told that a cover that does not 'breathe' is like an incubator for rust.......my 0.002c worth.

·
Registered
96 Posts
rust

I had my car freshly painted and bought a good car cover for it. I don't have the room in my garage and thought this would be best. Within a year, I started seeing rust bubbles in the lower parts on the doors and wheel wells. The guy who painted my car said those were areas that usually get hit by rust and keeping a car cover on just keeps the humidity inside. I went out and bought one of those 10 X 20 "portable garages" at Costco for $175. Has side and front/rear panels. I haven't used the panels yet, but my car now stays dry and I don't worry that much about the rain and humidity. I'll probably put the panels up when it gets colder.
As far as rust in the engine compartment. I started using gun oil on the metal bolts and tubing that was susceptible to rust. Every 6-8 weeks I apply some on a small cotton rag and rub the gun oil over every bolts, tube, and spring in the engine area. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I may also be running into this problem soon. I'm in So Fl. and storage is at a premium. There is no more land available at a reasonable price. Keep in mind houses here have 'no' basements. This means everyones junk is either packed in their garage or at a self storage facility. These places go for $200/month for a 10x20 space! I've been looking for a warehouse to buy, but too much $$$. I'm in a sub-tropical climate..can you say, humidity!
There's so much humidity in the air in the summer that algae forms on the sidewalks and patios! We get dew forming in the morning when the temperature drops to a frigid 73 degrees! I'm really not sure what I'm going to do when that time comes to have one of the cars outside. Leaving the car uncovered may actually be the better thing to do since the moisture can evaporate.

If that were me, I would leave the new (it's new in the sense of '02 or '03, right) outside. It won't rust, at least not for another 10 years or more. I have an '88 Mazda (bad weather car) which has been outside all the time and even though now the original paint is faded to almost white, there is no rust anywhere on the car! New cars are loaded with corrosion protection whereas the old ones basically had none!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I remember seeing a diagram somewhere on the web that shows you how to make a rust inhibitor, it sends electronic pulses thru the car to prevent rust from forming, used to have on on one of our cars, anyone ever heard of it, or seen instructions for it somewhere? I will try and see if I can find it again.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Catz I suggest leaving the cars outside untarped. A good carport type cover is the way to go. Don't place anything over car that will trap moisture and what I do is back my cars up a hill set out ramps, drive on ramps so cat is level allowing more air under. Leave hood open a bit so moisture can escape as well as windowns down a bit. Remember cars were built to be outside. Like mentioned if anything traps moisture to the paint it will bubble and if moisture can't escape engine bay it will rust and oxidize. Catzya

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of options for places to park and can't really put up one of those portable carports in front of the house. I've got a leak around the windshield and some rust bubbles under the vinyl top. I guess the cover will keep the water out of the inside and from getting under the top. I've also got lots of trees and the sap seems like it gets a quarter inch thick in a month... Since the damage is already done under the hood, I may be better off leaving the cover on and just religiously removing it after a rain to allow things to dry. Crap, I don't know what would be worse. Need to find a way to sweet talk my wife in to letting me have both garage bays again.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
KEEP AWAY FROM TREES! The most damage (at least, in Hawaii) is when leaves/dirt/debris sits on the car, because it traps the moisture and holds it there! If you are under trees, you MUST put it under a cover (and periodically - meaning at least weekly - remove the cover and wash the car as well as you can!
Sorry to be morbid, I've watched too many cars die a slow, tree-fueled death.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Can't you find a barn or other storage place somewhere not too far away to avoid those unpleasant chices ? A place where you can work on the car is a must.

I suggest you get really clear on what you are seeking to accomplish by sidelining your cat.

My cat ended up sitting 8 years while I was busy with other things that seemed important to my family. Even though I had started and moved the car every 3 months many things needed a second rebuild from sitting. The underhood fire from a Holly 750 where the float valve had gunked up in the open position really sucked.

No new cars for me this time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not that I've lost interest in may cat. As soon as I get my charging problem resolved I'll be back to driving it once or twice a week. (Actually think I got that figured out yesterday.) I bought a new Z06 a couple months ago and the choice of which one gets the garage isn't a difficult decision for me. It has been stored inside for the past couple years and the shock of what leaving it outside for a couple months can do is painful. I definitely don't plan on it becoming one of those rusted messes under a tarp. Maybe after I show my wife what the moisture problem has done under the hood she'll take pity on me or the car. I don't know though, she would love to see me get rid of it and knows I would sell before letter her rot away.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Rust?

I guess I'm just lucky?
Jennifer would leave me outside in the bad eliments before she would leave the Eliminator out!:1poke:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I WISH!

I moved a 50 F-1 truck-rod and my big block Mustang out to make room for the cougar and work space. Its a three car garage, but very cramped with all the stuff I have stored there Until I get my shop built...:bandit: :evil: :xoli: :sun: :pimp: :ylsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't cover the car with anything that will trap condensation. Also keep it away from trees. I had the no garage problem for many years with my '67. When I bought the car in 1987, it came from Arizona, and was completely rust free. I had it parked outside for a long time, cause it needed restored. I went out to check on it one day and found mushrooms growing on the front floor carpet! Turns out the dreaded cowl vent started to leak, and the water was running down the firewall and under the carpet, which resulted in rusted out front floors :( I suggest you make up some kind of carport for it, even some sort of cheap shed roof affair off the side of your hose, to keep the water off. Also, and probably more important than a roof--make sure you don't park it in grass! This will turn the whole underneath into nothing but rust!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
"I guess I'm just lucky?
Jennifer would leave me outside in the bad eliments before she would leave the Eliminator out"
Now thats what I like to hear...[read], wives [me being one of course] and husbands should share the same feelings over things, i.e. We both agree the cougar should be in the garage, and he does all the hard work clearing out the garage, I sit on the forum and whine about the state of the garage........:D

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My wife and I agree on this subject too... we both agree that we need to get out of our apartment and into a house so that we can have a garage for the Cougar! (And she's bitten too, we just need to find a suitable std coupe that we can build for her, now)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts