Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been notified that photo bucket now wants me to pay 400 dollars, a year. I just can't do that. Who else provides that same service, for no cost to the user?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
We came to the conclusion that this is a service that is not going to be available for free in the future. People are using images so much in social media that can go viral which uses up bandwidth like crazy. If you consider what PB did, they didn't just take a small incremental step, they decided to blow everyone out of the water. At $400 they are telling you they don't want to provide the service AT ALL. There is a lot of room between $400 and free... I suspect that more and more sites will be hosting images locally, or one of the big companies, like Google or Facebook with billions of $$ will find a way to use your images to make money and then offer a "free" service.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Wondering what PB's criteria is for this. For instance, my ECI thread (which has a ton of photos, all on PB) still seems to be more or less intact. I noticed a few missing image things on one page, not sure what happened to those photos but for the largest part everything else is still there. Maybe they just haven't gotten to me yet or maybe my thread is not being accessed much so it is "under the radar"?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I suspect they just haven't gotten to you yet. If you have not done so already, you should see what VS can do to preserve those images. If they act promptly, before accounts get blocked, it is not terribly difficult to save all the images used in threads locally. They will need to store them and write redirects to the new locations, but it is possible. We went from 3,974 posts with potentially blocked images down to just 688. We still have 69 user accounts that were blocked before we could get to them to save them. We may be able to fix those one at a time if the owners can download the images. PB is making it harder by the minute, they are changing the addresses of the images stored on their site so it will be harder to match them up.

There are going to be literally millions or even tens of millions of broken photo links in Google search. This will have negative effect on site traffic so their is a good reason for them to devote some effort to a fix.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
I posted a message referring to this thread in the site issues forum. Hope something can be done.

·
Contributing Member
1,880 Posts
Wondering what PB's criteria is for this. For instance, my ECI thread (which has a ton of photos, all on PB) still seems to be more or less intact. I noticed a few missing image things on one page, not sure what happened to those photos but for the largest part everything else is still there. Maybe they just haven't gotten to me yet or maybe my thread is not being accessed much so it is "under the radar"?
I have 183 pictures on PB, that amounts to 3% of the space that was free when I signed up. I would guess that woodsnake must have a lot of pictures.

The only request from PB when I sign in is 2.49 a month to be ad free. So far anyway!

woodsnake, how many pictures do you have on PB?

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 351 photos, and 12 videos. I would delete some, but the last time I tried, I failed....I might go along with a couple of bucks, but no where near the 400 they want. I have now also seen this same message on other boards like this one.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Is there a way to edit old post? On some of the other forums I am on, they enabled editing old posts.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You should be able to edit your own posts...... try pulling it up and click on thte edit post on the lower right window. If not, let us know what error message you get......

·
Registered
232 Posts
You should be able to edit your own posts...... try pulling it up and click on the edit post on the lower right window. If not, let us know what error message you get......
Unfortunately I don't have the option to click edit on any of my posts in my build thread. Here is an example.

Post Edit.jpg

·
10,971 Posts
Supermotors is funded by a motorhead for the good of the hobby. Put your car boat motorcycle airplane snowmobile minibike go kart etc. pictures there, it is the last place that will ever ask you to pay.

http://www.supermotors.net/

·
Registered
232 Posts
Will we be able to or how can we update our build threads to fix the Photo Bucket fiasco?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have the option to click edit on any of my posts in my build thread. Here is an example.

View attachment 96625
I don't see any option on your account that would change it either? IDK....? I wonder why yours doesn't show the edit feature...? Shoot a note to the contact us link..... see what the admins can do.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't see any option on your account that would change it either? IDK....? I wonder why yours doesn't show the edit feature...? Shoot a note to the contact us link..... see what the admins can do.
Just curious. How long does it usually take for admins to respond and how much time should I give before sending another email?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im with Royce with supermotors. I used them back in the day but got away from them over the years. I remember it being a pretty decent site, think i will need to fire up my old account again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts