Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the stupid questions. Saw this 72 Mustang (I know EGADS!!) on Ebay today. Says it's a T5... NOT a Mustang. These were imported to Germany or something. Anyone know anything about these and you think this one is for real? I couldn't possibly believe anyone would want to clone one of these. I checked a websight for T5's and it looks like they had to make alot of modifications in order to export. It does look like it had some good parts though and I'll be taking a look at it being that it's here in Tampa.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I read an article on the T-5 mustang a while back. They are from Germany and I think that Ford could not use "mustang" because it was copyrighted or something. So they called it a T-5.
I didnt know they made them in 72 also. The article I read was on a 67 or something.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
From Tom Wilson's article on the Classic Car Bug website (http://www.classiccarbug.com/T5-tomwilson.htm):
... The T-5 was made for export to Germany. There was a truck company in Germany called “Mustang” and they would not let Ford import a car with the same name unless Ford paid $100,000.00 to the truck company. Ford decided not to pay and simply removed the Mustang emblems from the fenders and blacked out the steering wheel and gas cap so it didn’t say “Mustang” anywhere on the car....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts