Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by the gentleman who I bought my cat from that the wheels are original to the car. It is a 70 XR-7 Conv. I have seen these rims on other Mercury products of the era(specifically a 1969 Marauder) but never on a cat. Does anyone know for sure?:confused:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
wheels

Gon
the only wheels i know of that are 70 wheels are standard ones for hubcaps,styled steel wheels for like eliminators and others and magnum 500s(which i am not positive that i seen 70 cars come with them but i think they did) those rims i dont believe are from a 70 or a 69 cougar, perhaps another ford product(other than the mustang) came with them.
hope this helps alittle bit.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
329 Posts
wheels

Gon call MartiAutoWorks ( 623 ) 935-2558 give him your vin number and some money and in return he will send you a report on your Cat.It will show you what was on your Cat.70 XR7 ragtop

·
Registered
246 Posts
Re: wheels

steelcat said:
Gon call MartiAutoWorks ( 623 ) 935-2558 give him your vin number and some money and in return he will send you a report on your Cat.It will show you what was on your Cat.70 XR7 ragtop
How will that help him figure out if those are factory wheels? Will it come with a picture of the wheels on his car?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
marti autoworks will break down the vin of your car
you will have 3 choices to pick from. STNDARD ,DELUXE ORELITE reports.A standard report only breaks down the vin numbers and gives you a lil detail on the date n production number and if it was on time,ahead or behind schedule, a deluxe report goes into a further detal, where it was sold(dealership) acutal day it was ordered,built sold and the ELITE report thats the grand daddy of all reports, comes w/ a tag from your door and its well worth it.But no no picture of the wheels on the marti reports.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
damn typo the or in elite wasn`t supposed to be there
sorry

·
11,000 Posts
That looks like a Kelsey - Hayes Magstar wheel. They were standard on the X-100 Marauder in 1969 and a similar wheel was optional on 1969 - 70 Shelby Mustangs. Nice wheels, I would use them if they were mine.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They do look very nice, especially after being restored! I do plan on using them. Thanks for your responses folks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
They were most likely not original to a 70 cougar, but they are really sharp!! I'd put a set of cougar center caps on them, and have one unique, and very tatseful set of wheels on the cougar.
Paul G.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Look cool with BFG's and the white lettering :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts