Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have been following you guys for a while now and love the site.
I bought my first Cougar from a buddy a couple months ago and
have been doing small projects to get it running smooth. Still have
the classic cougar slow overheating problem that I see a lot of you have.
Thinking an Alum Radiator and hi-flow water pump to start.

I think most of the car is original. Paint, wheels have been changed,
but the rest of the car is pretty stock. The only major issue is the
rear spring mount area is rusted out. Currently there is a "temporary"
fix the previous owner rigged up a couple years ago with some blocks
of wood to keep the spring from ending up in the trunk. Seems to
work for now, but it is first on my list of major to do's. I work in a
metal shop, so a new frame rail is pretty easy to fab up.

Now for the big question. Since it is a "standard" XR-7, not an Eliminator
or anything "special" should I really worry about keeping things original
as possible, or should I buy all of today's technology with new upgraded parts?
I am sure this is a question you guys all ask yourselves and I would like to hear
your thoughts. I am on the fence, half says upgrade with go-fast
goodies, half of me says try to keep it original.

Aaron

69 Cougar XR-7 351 2V 2.75 open rear

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You need to ask yourself what your intention is as far as the car goes. If you want to drive it frequently upgrade whatever makes it more reliable and maintenance free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on using the car as much as possible, weather permitting.
I have 4 whl drums which work ok, but not sure how much I trust it on slick roads.
Mostly street use for now, back and forth to work, around town on weekends.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I have 2 points for you to help you keep it real:
1. People drove these cars in daily traffic when new. People still drive these cars in daily traffic with no problems. So, there's nothing inherently wrong with them. When the parts are good and tune is right, the Cougar runs normally. Bill Basore, and other owners, prove this regularly by driving their cars in the hottest heat that North America can create.

2. Band aid fixes like aluminum radiators and high flow water pumps are really the province of people who want to blame the cars instead of taking the time to learn how to diagnose and fix them. So, the seemingly chronic overheating problem really isn't such. It's just a failure of the owner to take the time to learn and understand. We got ourselves an instant gratification culture (there's an app for that) colliding with older technology that requires some skill and knowledge in the fingertips, that's all. Plus, aluminum radiators look really neato.

Fix your current rust issues. Then, fix the overheating problem.
Then, decide if you want to spend 10 grand or more on a newer engine/trans that will be "easier" to work on and deal with when you add miles more wiring, a computer, and lots of sensors. It'll cost 3x as much as you think it will right now, and will take 2 or 3x as long, or may never get finished if life gets in the way.
Right now the car runs and drives with a few issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy-good points I agree with you on both. I am not even sure that my overheating problem hasn't fixed itself since I adjusted the carb/timing. I think I read here that it will run hot if it was running rich. Which I think it was. Not really had any problems since, but haven't really pushed it yet to find out either.

I am more than happy with the way my new coug drives now. But with the frame rust repairs upcoming I need to decide if I want to use original-type parts or aftermarket/homemade parts.

My thought are leaning towards upgrading things as they need replacing (disk brakes, suspension,etc.) with modern parts. I don't think it will affect the value much either way. Anybody thoughts on resale value?
(Like I will ever sell it!! :ylsup: )

·
Registered
524 Posts
Personally I like the stock look with minor updated mechanical pieces. As stated above I would first repair the rust issues. Then maybe do the updates that can be pulled from other vehicles such as brakes and electronic ingnition Unless you have the cash to buy the new aftermarket stuff. But you need to decide on your preference.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Do it your way, using what ever parts you see fit to use. Its your car to modify or keep stock as you see fit and to h e l l with anyone who dosen't like it or the way you did it.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Resale value will drop significantly the farther you take it from stock. You shrink your market immediately when you modify a car by going from a broad market of potential buyers to a very small market of people who want and will like your particular mods.

You can do it your way, but the price for that is the equivalent of taking the money you spend on it and setting fire to it. So, if you're worried about resale, keep it as original as you can.

FWIW, I modded my car the way I wanted because I knew I'd never sell it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Do it your way, using what ever parts you see fit to use. Its your car to modify or keep stock as you see fit and to h e l l with anyone who dosen't like it or the way you did it.
So what are you trying to say?!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
If you're talking about 22" wheels and boat interiors then yes it's going to hurt the resale value. But no one is going to discount electronic ignition or disc brakes. In fact those kinds of upgrades may increase the value.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I do what I likes and I likes what I do! This isn't flip that ride. I would not worry about modding my a code, numbers mismatching car. Now if I had a granny driven GT-E or an XR7-G I might think more like a business man. If you focus on the price/value too much it might cost you the enjoyment. I am not going to make mine too nice to drive either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts