Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am [hopefully] attaching a photo of the rims that are on my 72 cougar, is anyone able to tell me if these are the orginals rims, and also what size tyres are recommended, the ones I have on at the moment at 235/60/15 [I think the 15 is correct] too cold to go outside now and check.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nope, the picture is not going to appear, will have to work this one out.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
the wheel in the picture you posted on the second post is not a ford wheel, at least as far as I know. I had a set like that I put on a Pinto I had. The ones I had were "Western Wheels". I do not know if that company is around any more. Neal.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I agree Neal, I had a set of western wheels on a camaro once that looked just like those. I'm not sure whats recommended for a 72 cat but you should be able to look in the owners manual or a sticker on the door jam to tell the original tire size. Of course you will likely come up with a e-78-14 or something similar that will have to be converted over to a metric size. Any tire store should be able to look the size up also
John
wvcat

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I should have mentioned that there is a SW on the rims, presumably Smith's Wheels, Smith and Western, Western Wheels!!?. There is a 78E or something on the door, could not make any sense of it, now I know why. Thanks. If I get no luck here with the conversion, hopefully you will be able to help us out, will get the correct code tomorrow, its 3 degrees here and I am not going outside again tonight.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think 72' stock rims are 14x7's. Not completly sure... this is a question for cougrrcj:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bigger pic of rim.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a set of these wheels that I've had on my '68 Ford Pickup for about 20 years. Mine look identical to those with the 10 spokes and the spokes ending in the "ring" around the lugs. Mine are made by American Racing Wheels.

I believe the Western brand wheels have the same look but have 13(?) spokes, and the centers "concave" in from the "ring".

·
Registered
600 Posts
the original tires on my cat are gone but i can tell you the original size is not 15, mine are 14x6 all the way around i have 245/60/14's on back and 225/70/14's on front.
Hope this helps
Click on the OUR CAT link to see what the original XR7 caps look like:)

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Dave and lisa, and everyone else who replied, the guy we bought it from said he has the original rims, will see how they compare to the photo of yours. When i get them will take a pic.
Still have to check out the rim size on the door jam, have not taken her out today, yet!!!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts