Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
West Coast Classic Cougar is looking to offer a pinstripe kit, but it needs to be correct, not close.

Can I get a consensus on some original paint cars out there? Since we have a plethora of original paint body panels, car hulks, and fender/quarter extensions, I have taken some measurements.

1967-68 Mercury Cougars:
Individual stripes range from 5/64" to 3/32".
Spacing on center is approximately 7/32".
All body panel gaps are 1/2", as measured on a 1968 San Jose XR7.
Pin stripe colors: Black, White, Red?, and Silver. Not positive about the red.

1969 Mercury Cougars: *Excludes Sport Special. :toung:
Individual stripes range from 5/64" to 3/32". Some top stripes narrower than bottoms.
Spacing on center is approximately 17/64".
All body panel gaps are ?
Pin stripe colors: Black, White, and ?

1970 Mercury Cougars:
Top stripe right at 1/16".
Bottom stripe 5/64" to 3/32".
Spacing on center is approximately 17/64".

1971-1973 Mercury Cougar:
Top and bottom stripes: 5/64".
Middle stripe: 3/32" to 7/64".
Stripe spacing: 7/32".

·
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know there have been detailed threads on this topic, but I don't have them bookmarked. Somebody, I'm sure, will...

I note that, for at least 68 & 69, the paint chip chart lists the paint color codes for the accent stripes. Available here: http://www.cougarclub.org/techinfo/
Awesome,
White, black, silver, red, and gold pinstripes available on the 1969 Mercury car line. Please start chiming in with confirmation of all of these colors for Cougars.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
mine was a meadowlark yellow with a black stripe factory, my car is a 69 std

·
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Finesse Pinstriping is the place to get the right tape, I understand they will make up custom as well (probably what's needed here).

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mr. Pinkerton pointed out to me sometime ago the difference in '67 and '68 pin stripes: though the overall spacing was the same, on '67 cars, the stripes do not have gaps at the panel (fender extension/fender/door) while on '68 cars, they do. When he mentioned this to me, of course I ran right home to look at my two cars, one of each, and he was right! Otherwise, the stripe spacing was the same on my '67 standard (Dearborn car, Jamaican Yellow with black stripes) and my '68 standard (San Jose car, Augusta Green with white stripes).

·
Registered
391 Posts
Don:

Regarding colors: in '67, the early car pinstripe colors, according to factory trim books/data books, were black, white, and silver, with silver being replaced some time mid-year with red. (My '67 Color & Trim book chart with a revision date of 12/6/66 still shows black, white and silver, though I have other later information which only lists black, white, and red.) For '68, the colors were black, white, and red, according to my '68 Color & Trim book. Hope that helps.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Finesse Pinstriping is the place to get the right tape, I understand they will make up custom as well (probably what's needed here).
To be clear, I mean stencil tape to paint on stripes, NOT tape stripes.

·
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
back to the top.

I would hate to proceed with this project and find out later that the initial information was bubkus.

Speak now or we risk changing history.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
I know this doesn't speak directly to the topic, but IMO, ~1/4" spacing looks like ass. I will be deviating on this detail and going with 1/16" top stripe, 1/16" space, 3/32" bottom stripe.

But faithful to original is just that, and bravo for the effort (even if it looks like ass :buck:).

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Awesome,
White, black, silver, red, and gold pinstripes available on the 1969 Mercury car line. Please start chiming in with confirmation of all of these colors for Cougars.
Scott,

We know that Red was one color on '68s :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts