Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all and have a question to the group.
I just received some items from an original low mileage car. I think the frontend part (tie rods, control arms and the like) are all original. The Spring Perches have Ford stickers on them. So my question is are these parts worth anything to anyone and how can I tell if they are in-fact original.

Let me also say that this might be a STUpid question but because I am STUpid I had to ask.
Thanks
Stu

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I think it would be helpful to know what year they're from. That could make them worth something to somebody.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it would be helpful to know what year they're from. That could make them worth something to somebody.
69 with P/S and drums
Did not think to add that because for the most part it is a general question about using the original parts from the front end.
thanks for the reply

·
Registered
389 Posts
My opinion would be that they are worth as much as any other used part. They would not be original to anyone else's car so it wont be worth any thing there. If they were still on a low mileage survivor that they came on from the factory it would benefit that particular car but it's doubtful they would be of particular interest to anyone else, other than being just a used part.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Stu,

I'd say chances are pretty good that the reason you see stickers on the perches are they have been replaced. Do other parts on the front end show condition as well as the parts under discussion?

Regardless I don't think there would be much market for original front spring perches (but I have been wrong before!).

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My opinion would be that they are worth as much as any other used part. They would not be original to anyone else's car so it wont be worth any thing there. If they were still on a low mileage survivor that they came on from the factory it would benefit that particular car but it's doubtful they would be of particular interest to anyone else, other than being just a used part.
Cool off to the scrap metal bin they go.........................

·
Registered
839 Posts
Ford Stickers on the Spring Perches sound like NOS Replacement Parts. If they have (Ford) or (FoMoCo) and M-S stamped into the side then they are indeed Original and do have value.

Original Control Arms should have Riveted-In Ball Joints, Aftermarket have Bolts-nuts mounting the Ball Joints. I believe some of the Later Ford Replacements also have nuts mounting the Ball Joints. Also look for a Ford Part number on the Rubber of the Ball Joints.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...Original Control Arms should have Riveted-In Ball Joints, Aftermarket have Bolts-nuts mounting the Ball Joints. I believe some of the Later Ford Replacements also have nuts mounting the Ball Joints...
To my knowledge original arms (and replacements for that matter) all have riveted ball joints. I believe the only instance where one sees bolts and nuts is when replacement ball joints have been installed.

·
Registered
839 Posts
To my knowledge original arms (and replacements for that matter) all have riveted ball joints. I believe the only instance where one sees bolts and nuts is when replacement ball joints have been installed.
That could be the case. Someone sent me some pictures the other day, with Nutted Joints, and said they thought they were Later Replacement Arms(Circa 1979) but those Ball joints were probably replaced. They were probably Original Arms with Replacement Ball joints. Andrew

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the WCCC web site they talk about not having the bolt in type ball joints in stock. So they (Ford) might have made a bolt in type control arm.
"We do not have the 4 bolt upper ball joint version available at this time." That is the type on this car.
http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/upper.html

·
Registered
839 Posts
On the WCCC web site they talk about not having the bolt in type ball joints in stock. So they (Ford) might have made a bolt in type control arm.
"We do not have the 4 bolt upper ball joint version available at this time." That is the type on this car.
http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/upper.html
The 1970-later went to a 4-Stud arrangement mounting the ball-joint, instead of the 3 Studs mounting the 67-69s. That might be what Don is talking about.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The 1970-later went to a 4-Stud arrangement mounting the ball-joint, instead of the 3 Studs mounting the 67-69s. That might be what Don is talking about.
Actually Andrew, the 67-69's were 4 rivet and the 70 were 3.

Also, what WCCC is referring to is the fact that all current repro's are 3 rivet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts