Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 68 Cougar that had been "updated" by the previous owner around 1980. The interior was changed from Ivy/Parchment to Blue. Instead of going to the expense of returning the interior to original I am going to stay with the blue but I am finding some things that make me wonder how a blue interior would have been finsihed off by Mercury. For one, the metal portion of my dash is black instead of Ivy or as I would have thought, repainted to blue. Also, blue carpeting has been put down over what appears to be original black carpeting.

Is this the way Mercury would have done an Ivty/Parchment interior, with a lower black dash and black carpeting? What about a blue interior? I am planning to replace the carpeting even though it really doen't need it just because the replacement carpet doesn't have the right nap look to it as I would want. While I have the seats out for the carpet replacement I am wondering if I should be looking at repainting the lower dash and if so, what color.

I really appreciate comments, especially from anyone with an original blue or Ivy/Parchment interior.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump hoping that someone might have some knowledge and/or pictures to help shed some light.
Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
If it was a standard Cougar with a parchment interior (either base or decor), everything but the carpet, upper dash pad and package tray would have been parchment. The standard seatbelts would be black, but the deluxe ones would have been either parchment (a bit darker than the parchment vinyl, really a light tan) or light ivy, I can't recall. If it was an XR-7, the dash, steering wheel and column would have been black to give it that European look.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know. I am really starting to suspect that for whatever reason the original dash was completely replaced, metal portion and all, with an XR-7 dash. That would explain why all the gauges are in place and work along with the woodgrain and the black metal dash. I re-confirmed the door code which says that the car started out with a Lime Frost exterior and a
Pastel Parchment Crinkle Vinyl & Pastel Parchment Rhino Vinyl with Ivy Gold interior. I guess that on this interior a black carpet would have been used. Can anyone confirm this?

What I really want to understand is if what I was told actually happened. That a previous owner decided they didn't like the green color and re-did everything in blue or if there is the possibility that this vehicle started life as something else and the door was replaced from a Lime Frost car. Any ideas on how to verify this?

·
Registered
391 Posts
If your car was originally equipped with a Parchment decor interior with ivy gold acccents, then the carpet would be dark green. The only ways I can think to verify how the original car was equipped is to (a) ensure that the VIN on the dashboard matches the VIN on the door plate; (b) determine if the VIN door plate is original (and was not reproduced/replaced, there are people out there who will make up a VIN door plate to say whatever you want); and/or (c), obtain a Marti Report, which would definitively tell you what interior your car was originally equipped with.

One thing to keep in mind is that the car is 44 years old and a lot could have been done to it over it's life. I hear of a surprising number of people who change the interior color of their car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts