Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or remember what color a vented gas cap should be? Yellow or Clear Zinc?

The inside of a Mustang cap for '68 is yellow, but it has the big 'ol large Mustang cap on the outside, of course..

Can I get a definitive answer? I think all of the 40 year old ones are a bit..well..faded and affected by years of gas and corrosion, but..

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
69/70 is Zinc Dichromate (yellow).

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found a Stant Brand (think it's the same one as you have, Brian) on Ebay..thanks!

b

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Yeah what Bob said for 68 as well.
I do not believe that the cap shown is a vintage 1968 cap.

We have a small collection of what I believe are original gas caps, from Cougars here at WCCC.
I'll try and post up a picture of what they look like. None of them say ANTI SURGE, I recall VENTED though.

·
11,000 Posts
All the NOS originals I have seen for 67 - 68 are silver zinc plated. Never seen one in yellow. The picture is of a Stant replacement cap, not the Autolite original. They look entirely different from your picture Brian.

Yeah what Bob said for 68 as well.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yes, mine is a replacement not the original. I thought the original for 68 was the yellow zinc like 69 and 70. Learned something new. Guess I'll have to put the original back on I thought was not correct.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
DSC00910.jpg DSC00907.jpg Here are pics of my gas cap. John

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts