Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
does anyone here have any Cougar post cards? Got any not in the video? Have you ever seen an XR7 G post card? I've heard of them, but haven't seen one. What else was produced? A GT-E?

btw, not every card in the video is an actual post card. One (the B & W Eliminator) may be a collector card baseball card style. One of the race cars may be from a box that a model came in. The 3D 67 card was from Argosy magazine around Oct, 66. It may have been a bi-monthly mag (Sept/Oct) I don't remember for sure. The other side of the card has an offer for the plastic model that you could buy.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Larry, you've got a great collection there. I have a lot of those but not every one. To answer your question, I do have one that I did not see in your collection: a Host Hotels postcard that was part of a '67 tie-in. It's a nice, color line drawing of a Cougar in a driveway of a Host hotel.

I've never seen or heard of a '68 XR7-G or GT-E postcard.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Ill have to take some pics of mine that i didnt see you got, but very cool collection.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hey Larry, those are terrific. Did you not sell those when you sold the rest of your collection?

I don't know of a G post card, but there is an arcade card (which is similar) featuring one of the prototype XR7-Gs (see attached).

I'd be surprised if you didn't already have one of these, as they are fairly common.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey Larry, those are terrific. Did you not sell those when you sold the rest of your collection?

I don't know of a G post card, but there is an arcade card (which is similar) featuring one of the prototype XR7-Gs (see attached).

I'd be surprised if you didn't already have one of these, as they are fairly common.
Phillip, the post cards are one of the few things I kept. Somehow I never saw the arcade card before and was never offered one for sale. In the 1980's I sent out at least 100 SASE's to people who advertised in Hemmings, etc., Almost everyone wrote back and of them about 25% had Cougar stuff and they kept me posted on new items if/when they got any. Also, I placed my own ads that got answered. I had heard of an XR7G post card through an NCCC member. I bet this was it. I hadn't heard of Arcade cards before. Interesting. Thanks for posting it. Although they are common, I guess I was not looking in all the right areas. I could have searched under non sports cards and things like that.
I bet I could have found a lot more post cards at antique shows, but never looked there. Post card dealers set up large tables with thousands of cards. I only searched through car sources.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The arcade cards are neat. They were sold in bubble gum like machines "back-in-the-day". A store would have a machine filled with only celebrity pics and another with all the auto related stuff. Factory pictures of prototypes and race cars and some pretty crudely done line drawings - all in black and white.

Here are a couple more of the cards I have. The G card along with a couple of GT40 cards.

I've always thought it would be neat to find one of those arcade machines and fill it up with only the Ford related cards. It would be a nice piece to display.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The arcade cards are neat. They were sold in bubble gum like machines "back-in-the-day". A store would have a machine filled with only celebrity pics and another with all the auto related stuff. Factory pictures of prototypes and race cars and some pretty crudely done line drawings - all in black and white.

Here are a couple more of the cards I have. The G card along with a couple of GT40 cards.

I've always thought it would be neat to find one of those arcade machines and fill it up with only the Ford related cards. It would be a nice piece to display.
Someone told me the B & W Eliminator was a "bubble gum" card. That's what I mean when I wrote in the first post that it was "baseball card style", (because of the gum that comes in baseball cards)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well, I couldn't locate the Host Hotels Cougar postcard, but I found another introducing the '67 XR-7; images attached. When I find the other one, I'll scan and post it.

67XR7front.jpg 67XR7rear.jpg

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I couldn't locate the Host Hotels Cougar postcard, but I found another introducing the '67 XR-7; images attached. When I find the other one, I'll scan and post it.

View attachment 29257 View attachment 29258
That's a nice card Mercury6768. I haven't seen that one. Thanks for posting it. I did have a really neat 67 card (not shown in the video). I accidentally sold it with all my other 67 stuff when I meant to hold back ALL the post cards/mailers separately. I mistakenly put it in the wrong binder and it was gone :( The neat thing about it was that a walking cat was embossed onto it. It was about regular post card sized, but it was two pieces folded to that size. It was probably my favorite card (but the 3D card is cool too) I think it was black with a silver cat, but I'm not positive. It's the only embossed Cougar card I've seen.
I heard there was a 1969 Cougar convertible card. Anyone here seen one?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Mercury6768 and catman, those are very cool! I have never seen either one.

I just love vintage illustration!

Thanks a bunch for sharing.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

View attachment 29257 View attachment 29258
It's interesting that the driver is wearing gloves. Is that to imply to buyers that it doubles as a race car, or that the heater doesn't work, or what?

·
Registered
391 Posts
When I first got that card about 15 years ago, I actually searched for driving gloves like that, but never did find any. And thanks to catman for posting the Host Hotels version.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
It's interesting that the driver is wearing gloves. Is that to imply to buyers that it doubles as a race car, or that the heater doesn't work, or what?
How about that gloves were just a "in" thing at the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts