Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to find out what the original color on my 69 was? Is that info in the VIN? And if so how do I decode it?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
69 has a metal tag riveted to the dr. door. It should have a letter under the color name. If you find it, what's the letter, then I can try and help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the tag and can read the stamped letters&numbers but the tag has been sanded so I don't know which one is for the color? The tag reads 65A P 2A 23A 15 6X

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
65A is the body style- 2dr. hardtop standard interior, P is color Winter Blue, ( I could be wrong there), 2A is black vinyl buckets, 23A is the date- 23 of Jan. 15 is the DSO,-which is Newark, 6 is either axle or tranny, either 3.00 or 4 speed, X Im not sure about.

My book is old and ratty, hard to read. Hopefully Im right on a few of these. I will try and find my other book soon. I have alot, so it will take awhile to find it.

Hope I helped.

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
doesnt X stand for the FMX tranny?? i might be wrong, but who knows. i think my tag is the same. too bad it was painted over about a billion times :angryfi: does anyone make repros for them? i mean with all the info stamped into it and all?? RAY are you there?? lol

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
by the way, metromustang.com has a data plate decoder, they can help too

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
you know, there was a time when i actually had a data plate decoder book for all cars from 60 to 69. i cant find it now. but i went online and yup. its an FMX. nice tranny, i like mine :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts