Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much orange peel would you leave in the paint trying to be as close to factory as possible. I know there was some in it. Painter says it is all up to me. He can leave a little, take it all out or what. Before I had the car media blasted you could still see some in the original paint. Hope this is not a stupid question but I don't want it all gone if there should be some there.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
This is an area for some interpretation. Most cars are over restored when it comes to paint. If I was paying that kind of money I would want it flawless. I highly doubt you would be marked off for this, but who knows at the concours level (assuming that is how you intend to show). I am sure someone can speak to this, I am just sayin' what I think for the money spent.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah at this point it wouldn't cost me any more to have it flawless but I do remember the original had some orange peel in it. Not sure if it is necessary, appropriate or not? To many decisions real quick right now.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and Bob, I appreciate your opinion on here or I would keep asking. I know I am spending crazy money and don't really feel good about it but I can't stop now. I never imagined, even after reading Brians posts and others that I would be going this far into this project. She is starting to look pretty nice though. Can't wait to getter home. Will be about three more weeks? Probably four just cause something will slow something up.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
If you aim for a concours correct restoration, then go with a slight orange peel in the paint, if not, then go for perfect finish :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Go with some orange peel to start. I am just finishing up my car now and have the ability to color sand some out if so desired. Likely will leave it for a year or so then go completely smooth or...maybe not lol you have the option that route

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you saying that you can sand on a car after a year and still get it back shiny? Not sure if it makes a difference but this is a single stage paint for the first few coats then the next three coats he mixes a little clear in it? Do we have anyone on here that has judged Concours cars for CCOA? What do you say?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Single stage enamels aren't meant to be color sanded - they won't come back to shiney without constant maintenane after the surface is broken. Moder BC/CC can be and for a show quality job it's almost a neccessity. I wouldn't focus to much on putting peel in it - I think there were cars that had some and some that had very little - depended on the painter back in those days - no bot's doing it. Hell it was hard enough to avoid orange peel trying not to! I'd hope for the best possible finnish you can get with all the time and effort and $ going in. Looking forward to seeing it finnished!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Are you saying that you can sand on a car after a year and still get it back shiny? Not sure if it makes a difference but this is a single stage paint for the first few coats then the next three coats he mixes a little clear in it? Do we have anyone on here that has judged Concours cars for CCOA? What do you say?
You must have visible orange peel in the paint or you will loose 3 points in concours judging. There is no specific amount or location specifiedin judging rules for the orange peel. That being said, I'll take the point deduction every day for a perfect paint job. I have never purposely left orange peel for judging but that's just me. You can make up the points by doing an excellent job on everything else and you'll still walk away with a concours gold trophy.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jeff that was the answer I was looking for. I have seen this guy finish out three cars since he started mine and they were all smooth as glass, For some reason I wanted a little orange peel. Texture I guess. Shoot I will take three points anyway I can even if it is not in a show!

·
Registered
726 Posts
When I first owned my 69 E, I don't remember any orange peel in the paint. The reason I remember is I needed a bit of body work on the DS door ... parking lot ding ... and it got repainted with orange peel showing. I was a bit p...ed!!! But couldn't afford to have it corrected. So now, NO orange peel ... anywhere!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts