Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
""The car starts right up, with a jump box, but will not stay running without it. Probably has a shot alternator."You want a good price for it but are not willing to fix it?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Is it in the Registry?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Is it in the Registry?
Yes, originally reported to the Registry in 1998 at which time it was still in Bakersfield. In July, 2000, Scott Behncke (CougarCJ) reported it as being at the CCOA West Nats.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
very nice restore canidate. Same combo as my Eliminator, color 3 and interior EA. I have been to Ray Sillman place a few times just south of Indy. Lots of nice cars and most are for sale. Very nice place, check out his web site and all his cars. Must of had this one stored in a different building as I didn't see it the last time I was there about a year ago. If you stop by during the week you can go in the back and check out the cars being restored. Usually about two to three guys working there and very friendly. Ray's son owns half of the car and is very hands on restoring them and can be found working in the restore shop quite often. No charge to visit just a car guy that likes to share his collection unlike most at that level. He owns most of the car dealerships in that area.

This Chevelle is super nice.. and he also has an outstanding white Boss 429 and a blue 68 Shelby and I could go on and on.......
http://www.rayskillmanclassiccars.com/details/used-1970-Chevrolet-Chevelle-SS-Convertible-Greenwood-Indianapolis-IN/B203567/45231179

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Noticed that the rear spoiler is mounted too far forward on the deck lid. Would this have happened at the dealership after fleet delivery? I might have to take a drive and check this one out.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I think that's a cool color combo and probably my favorite patina of all time, thusfar, on any Cougar. Ever.

Really neat car.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I think $14,000 should have bought that Eliminator maybe $16,000 at best. His current buy it now at $18,000 is wishful thinking.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I think $14,000 should have bought that Eliminator maybe $16,000 at best. His current buy it now at $18,000 is wishful thinking.
Price aside, I have a question about cars in this condition.

So, this car shows some surface rust on the roof, and various spots here and there where the paint has been scuffed through (presumably by a car cover over time?).
If you wanted to preserve this cars "patina", and prevent the rust from evolving into somethign worse, how would you do that?
My thoughts along this line is this; if you purchased the car to drive occasionally, and eventually restore as more funds become available.

I always wonder about this when I see cars with varying amounts of "surface rust", but at what point does the rust become too much to just remove, neutralize and repaint, and instead you have to think about removing and replacing an entire roof.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hmm... good question. I don't think clear coat over surface rust would be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I owned that Eliminator from '98 to approx.2002.
Anyone interested in that car can contact me. I know that car well and the history of it.
[email protected] or (c) 661-331-9496
I seem to remember this car being in the Westfield, Indiana area at one time in the mid-1990's. I left lots of notes on the windshield, but never did get a hold of the owner. Did you buy this car from a private individual or from a dealer?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Price aside, I have a question about cars in this condition.

So, this car shows some surface rust on the roof, and various spots here and there where the paint has been scuffed through (presumably by a car cover over time?).
If you wanted to preserve this cars "patina", and prevent the rust from evolving into somethign worse, how would you do that?
My thoughts along this line is this; if you purchased the car to drive occasionally, and eventually restore as more funds become available.

I always wonder about this when I see cars with varying amounts of "surface rust", but at what point does the rust become too much to just remove, neutralize and repaint, and instead you have to think about removing and replacing an entire roof.
move to Arizona with it.
Otherwise, you can clear over it. It seals it off from 02, the catalyst for rust.

·
Registered
136 Posts
2720r-I really don't think it was this car you saw. Although most anything's possible.
Purchased from, I'm quite sure, the 3rd owner down in Bakersfield, Ca. To be honest, my then girlfriend who became my wife, bought the car as she always liked the Cougars. When she needed a new econo car for a long daily job commute, I then bought the car from her so she'd have a down payment for that econo car.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Probably not the same car then. There was a car in Westfield in identical colors, and Greenwood isn't that far away.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Probably not the same car then. There was a car in Westfield in identical colors, and Greenwood isn't that far away.
Hello Randy, I think that the E-Cat that you are referring to from the Westfield area was one of Roger Kerkman's Cougars. He sold all of his cars & parts in the mid 90's to pursue other interests.

Gary

1 - 20 of 55 Posts