Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I am getting ready to install new headliner but am not sure if the opra light housings are installed before the liner or after. As I look at it and contemplate, it would seem that the housings need to go in before the liner as they are larger than the lens, and would be seen if not covered. So my ? is how is this done ? Car is 68 xr7. Any help you can give is appreciated, thanks Terry

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Yeah, what MagCats said...

Be careful with the heat gun. I burnt my arm pretty bad when I did mine....

I will admit that I was a little intimidated by the process. I was told by several people that it is best to hire a professional when it comes to installing the headliner.

I decided to install it myself after a local club member (Chris Long) told me otherwise. I am very happy with the way it came out. It is really not that difficult.

·
Registered
343 Posts

I will admit that I was a little intimidated by the process. I was told by several people that it is best to hire a professional when it comes to installing the headliner.

I decided to install it myself after a local club member (Chris Long) told me otherwise. I am very happy with the way it came out. It is really not that difficult.

Damn!! I really love your interior!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you MagCat, That is the way thought it would have to go but was unsure & could not find anything in the manuals I have, so again, thank you. Azcat, thank you also. A picture of one done is perfect, I do have a ? though. If the housings are in first, is the headliner held in place by the push on lens ? Also would like to say your interior looks great. Thanks again Terry

·
Registered
2,055 Posts

Awesome work. You sure you're only 22?

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
If the housings are in first, is the headliner held in place by the push on lens ? Also would like to say your interior looks great. Thanks again Terry
To a point. Everything is really held in place by the glued ends (at glass pinch seam, etc).

I attached a picture of my headliner with the lens removed. I did not glue the headliner to the housing.

Also, I cut the lens hole only after the headliner was tight/glued. You would likely run into problems if you cut the hole before pulling everything tight.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Couple more tips

You can cut old windlace into 1” or 2" sections to help hold the headliner tight at the pinch seam. Work around the perimeter pulling everything tight while installing the temporary windlace strips. Start gluing ONLY after you are happy with the look. Start by removing a couple sections of temp windlace, apply glue to both surfaces (wait according to glue directions), ensure everything is still tight, stick together, and replace temp windlace. Repeat until everything is glued. You can use a heat gun to eliminate minor wrinkles (at a distance, always keep it moving, and only for a fraction of a second). It can quickly damage the texture of the headliner. Keep the temp windlace strips in place until you are ready to install the glass.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Azcat

Thank you Azcat for posting the pics and the information you provided. Tonight if I have time I am going to start & with what you have shown and told me I feel much better. Thanks so much.. Terry

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Headliner install progress

Hi all, I got some time yesterday to start installing my headliner, was a little tough getting the rods slid into the liner but once that was done it all went pretty well. I had read on a post here a while back that it is much easier to do if its warm so I cranked the heat in the garage to high, wow talk about a sweat box. After about 4.5 hrs I have got it pretty good but it still needs some tweeking so I am posting a few pics of what I have done. Feel free to comment and or give me advice. Thanks, Terry

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks like it is going good. I love the binder clips idea!! I will be doing mine shortly.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Of all the things I've had to do to my Cougar, that dam headliner was the most miserable thing I ever did. I did mine 20 years ago and it needs it again......I'm letting someone else do it this time. I'm trying to cut down on the swearing.
Mark:lolani:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts