Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone. I came across a 69 big block car on e-bay and was wondering what everyone here thought. To me it looks like a good car,390 but with a three speed?I see it's been painted once. Kind of a driver,needs work to be a 1:1 scale model. Is the price in the ballpark? Thanks Bosscat40. By the way the listing # is 290667661012.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Here is what I noted while looking through the pictures:

- The overspray in the wheel well & quality of the paint (lack of depth, mostly), plus badly masked or damaged door jamb labels/data plate suggests a quickie respray job that may not hold up long-term.
- The dull spots on the front bumper, the poor cosmetics in the engine compartment, and the open eyelids (poor headlight vacuum?) make me question some of the claims about the restoration.
- The steering wheel crack also makes me wonder about the claims
- The interior looks like it's been liberally treated with ArmorAll, so I wonder if the interior will look as good in a few months

A car like this makes me very cautious. I'd want to do a thorough in-person inspection to determine what it's really worth to me. Not being all that knowledgeable about the 69-73 Cougars, I can't offer a real opinion as to value. While the 390, 3-speed combo is unusual it also competes with R- and Q-codes in this model year so I'm not sure it actually translates into valuable rarity.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Looks like a nice driver, IMO. Not to many built with that engine/trans combo, only 1 of 29. John

·
Registered
936 Posts
Since you are asking for opinions (we all know how that ditty goes), I agree 100% with Bill. This is a quick Maaco-like respray, even on the trim and rubber door bumpers. Interestingly, the entire front end of the engine compartment is also resprayed black with components in place- pulleys, compressor, starter relay all the same color. A little scary. None of the vacuum lines are hooked up, so not only are the headlights going to stay open, but the car can't be tuned correctly. Wrong mufflers with no hanger brackets so there is nothing holding up the middle of the exhaust system.

Positives are a no rust body and undercarriage if that can be confirmed in person, as well as a/c. I would change to a 4-speed, add a console, do some detailing, and then it might be worth the 17K+ price. As it sits, 13-14K maybe. Opinion rendered.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
The provided air cleaner snorkel is not correct for that engine. Air cleaner base looks right.

1969 S code 390IP engines are subjective, I personally compare them to 1968 390-2V engines. Just OK, but a small step laterally, from a small block with 4 barrels. If you factor in the extra weight, I would rather have a M code 1969 or J code 1968.

If you like the 1969 and the S code engine, and don't mind a project. Mopar Don has one for sale. Sunroof, 4 speed, and XR7 (I believe).

·
Registered
434 Posts
As I look at the interior pics it appears to me this car had a diffrent color interior. Look at the sail panels and the seat belts. Also the seats and door panels appear to have to much gloss along with the steering wheel. Non working AC, drum brakes, trunk and hood trim dented. Being that I just went thru this exercise (small block 1969 clone) you will find things once the car arrives that you could not see. I paid way less (5800.00) for my car in about the same condition. By time I am done fixing and upgrading I will more than likely spend another 4 to 5 thousand dollars.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
As I look at the interior pics it appears to me this car had a diffrent color interior. Look at the sail panels and the seat belts. Also the seats and door panels appear to have to much gloss along with the steering wheel.
The codes on the door tag indicate it was originally Bright Blue Metallic over a black standard interior. Maybe things have been replaced or faded at different rates but a black interior was original to the car.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I too noticed the overspray on the lip trim and a few other issues. Even the rear license plate holder wasn't refinished. It shows rust. The grille and surround area is not finished. The sail panels look bad. The headliner seams are way out of whack. The turn signal stalk is rusty.I can't help wonder what other "shortcuts" he took on the project.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the great input everyone.You brought to light some of the same issues I was lookinfg at.To be honest, I was thinking of doing a swap for my pastel E-cat.Just wanted to see what the gang thought of the car.Again, thank you Dave.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Offer him 5K and tell him there is a 12K penalty for lying about the "stunning restoration"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts