Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I have a question. I have been thinking of either selling wvcat or trading her for a vert because I have always wanted one. I am not sure if I want to or not because I have had it for 12 years and I know my car inside and out. What do you think? If I do it I would want a 69 or 70 and would perfer a 70 xr7. I already have wvcat, a 66 stang and will be getting a 68 standard soon. so I am getting where I have way more cars than I need so I wouldn't want to get one without getting rid of one. I have also thought of the conversion on the 68 but I'm thinming thats alot of work and finding parts won't be cheap.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I had a 67 mustang coupe and allways wanted a 67 conv. so i found one, then i had both, so I sold the coupe a few years later and kept the conv. then soon after reralized that I sold the wrong car. I should have sold the conv. it real nice to drop the top on a nice day but in south texas it is HOT, the conv was black with black interior and a black top and no working A/C, in the summer it was get baked with the top up or microwaved with it down and when it rained the water would leak in at the top of the wind shield and drip right on my crotch. and i'd be thinking "I miss the coupe".
They were two totally different animals, the conv was loaded with delux interior. pwr disc brakes auto trans, styled steel wheels. ans the coupe was plain jane, 289 4v 4 spd. no a/c no power steering manual drum brakes. I added a floor and a roof console. but man the coupe was great car wish I still had it. DOH!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If you can't keep them all, let the 68 go. The 70 is a much rarer bird than a 68 std and if you have to ask then you really don't want to part with her (the 70), do you? :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
keep the CAT

I would keep the CAT and sell the horse just by looking aat the adds all around mustangs are a dime a dozen way too common you do see afew nice ones.As far as a vert. my neighbor has a 61 Bonniviile vert.just out of a 2 year 50,000 resto.he might have dropped the top 5 times 3 of the were for parades.If it werent for the babes in his car im sure it problby be less.Have the best of both 2 CATS dump the stang and share the litter box. Dan

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
what Dan said.... You can't get rid of WVCAT.... she's like part of the family:D

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I agree that wvcat is part of the family but the stang is my wifes dream car so its a keeper for now. The 68 is however expendable and will probably have to go if I decide to keep wvcat and have to have a vert, unless I get lucky and my wife decides she likes the 68 better than the stang. I'm sure at some point I will get a vert but I'm just not sure when. To buy one I would have to save some $ and thats not easy for me to do.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's always hard to give up something that has "been around" for a while, especially something special. You have to search you gut and ask your self "what will life be like without her?" If your answer is "OK" then let her go. If not, then you probably should hang on to her. Good Luck!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm somewhat in the same boat... I have a 67 standard cat that has been with me for about 7 years. It got me through college, I proposed to my wife in it and scraped and bled every knuckle on her (the Cougar not my wife :rolleyes: ) . I have always wanted a convertible. Thought of getting another 67-68 cat since I'm partial to those and chopping one into a convertible. Looked at vintage mustangs, and even early Broncos to get my open air fix. Our budget and parking space at my residence dictates me getting rid of a car before getting a new one. I can't let my cat go yet...I know too much about her. Hang on to your convertible dream and pursue it at a later date. You'll regret letting go of your coupe. My $.02.:eek:

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you love the cat, don't sell her. You will regret it. Trust me.

I ended up selling my baby last year, but everytime I see one just like it, I miss her.

My recent acquisition is a 70 convertible, but it's somehow not the same.

Sly

·
Registered
889 Posts
try this

Get her in the stang and go for a cruse.(if you find a vert with in your rang)Tell her your going to see and old friend.........Then guess what honey theyers a cat convertible for sale! Well Ill be lets look just for the heck of it.Open the door for her put her behind the wheel tell her she looks great in it.3 to 1 you can set the hook.she will no longer want the mustang she will have caught THE FEVER. Dan:smooch:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Wonder if that'll work for me...My wife wants a damned explorer!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
John
As I'm sure you would expect, I have mixed feelings on this issue. Having had several cats that I adored (although never had one for 12 years), and giving them up for a variety of reasons, I'd say go for it. Yes, there will be regrets, there always will, but the bottom line is you will know when it is time to let wvcat go and you won't have to ask anyone's thoughts on the matter. A 'vert can be a lot of fun, (I owned one other before ragcat) and not neccasarily a sunshine only car. In our neck of the woods, any rear wheel. high horsepower car w/fat tires is practically useless in the winter time anyways so what would the difference be? Only your attachement to wvcat and only you can determine just how strong that would be. I would suggest that if you can find a 'vert that you can work your magic on (quit eyeballing ragcat! LOL!!), get the '68 streetworthy again and make a deal. I know with what the '68 already has in it and what you can do with it, somewhere out there there has to be someone that would give the $ you would need or possibly trade a 'vert for it.
Chuck

ps if I'd known having ragcat in your garage was going to put you over the edge like this :1poke: :D , I'd never have made our deal! LOL!!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been over the edge for a long time, I think that even happened before I went over the hill....lol I have been wanting a vert for a long time, its been about 14 years since I had one and it was an MGB but I have always wanted a cougar vert. After reading the responses here I think I will hold on to wvcat for a while longer and maybe use the 68 as trading or selling material when the time comes. Unless I can convince the wife to let me trade the stang instead.
John
wvcat

1 - 15 of 15 Posts