Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have my car insured along with my other vehicles and home.

However, the car isn't insured for what I believe it to be worth (it isn't finished, and the appraiser didn't know much about cougars). So if I decided to insure the car with one of the companies that specialize in classic cars, can you give me your suggestion of what company I should use, your experience with them, and if possible, the monthly rate you have to pay for what level of coverage, and anything else I might be missing?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i use grundy for our cars---remember , your project is not insured by your home owners ins---i started the cougar @ $ 5k and kept raising it as work progressed
my buddy barrel rolled his 40 ford sedan and grundy paid full amount plus trip delay and transportation home
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I use Hagerty and they've been great. Had a pickup stolen and they paid full insured amount without question even when the circumstances could have been questioned. I can't remember the exact rates but it's something like $200 per year for each $20K of value. Go to www.hagerty.com and ask for a quote.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Jeff,

I first went with Grundy as they were the best price. However, they were very conservative with coverage, I could only get $20K without documentation, I got an appraisal which came back at $24.2K, they gave me $25K coverage. Then I happened to read "cammok5"'s post about how Hagerty gave him $30K with him just supplying pictures. After reading that I revisited the whole insurance thing and I changed to Hagerty after being with Grundy just a few months. Hagerty gave me $50K agreed upon value with just a goodly amount of pictures. This was a number I had in mind that I would not not have do away with myself in the event of a total loss of Isabel. With Hagerty, I got my number and it was only about $450 per year with their best (125 mile) towing package which covers all my cars (not just Isabel) with guaranteed flat bed towing. I am very happy with them so far, they are very "on the ball" whenever I talk to them and responsive too. I liked them so much in fact that I asked (and they agreed) to insure my '94 Mustang GT Conv. too for a mere $164 I think it was, just a 3500 mileage limitation. Beats the heck out of $800 for liability from my regular insurance company for the 'stang.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have American Family, I have the declared value of 25k on my 70 XR7, all I had to do was go to the insurance office, they took two pictures, copy of everything (title, reg...etc) and it runs about $150.00 a year. Of course my clean driving record and being over 50 has something to do with that price. Also, been with AmFam for over 20 yrs. My last 70, got totaled out in an accident, they docked me $300 for not having stock wheels and tires on it and I had it insured thru them for the same 25k.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have been using Hagerty for my rust bucket for the last 2 years. If I remember correctly I am paying $130 a year for my coverage.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I use Hagerty also....they are good and the premium runs about $100 a year for a value of 20K....

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
To the guy with Am Fam for 20 years...where are you located?
Anyway, you should shop for a better deal. What I mean is better price AND better coverage. It's out there.

How can one get "docked" (I can think of another word) for having an upgraded tire and wheel combo? If you had the original tire and wheel combo on the car at the time of the loss, they'd have been "totaled" as well and the company would have had to indemnify you.
Don't let the adjuster take advantage of you. Read your policies and understand the coverage's and limitations, know how the premiums are derived and what you can do to lower them.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Might want to do a search on "Hagerty" or insurance on this forum as this topic comes up every few months - lots and lots of opinions have been expressed on here.

-a Hagerty customer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hagerty here also for my 67, similar as others, $125-130 a year and been real pleased with them. Easy online renewals and policy views and a nice little magazine they produce and mail out as well.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Bob

Did you talk to Haggerty about using the mustang for occasional trips back and forth from work. I had looked at moving my 300Z to Haggerty a few yers back, but recall that was an issue.

Steve

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Steve,

Yes, I asked about driving both of the cars I have insured with them to work occasionally and they said no problem as long as it is occasional and not every day. Since neither are daily driver's, no problem for me.

Bob

·
Registered
980 Posts
To the guy with Am Fam for 20 years...where are you located?
Anyway, you should shop for a better deal. What I mean is better price AND better coverage. It's out there.

How can one get "docked" (I can think of another word) for having an upgraded tire and wheel combo? If you had the original tire and wheel combo on the car at the time of the loss, they'd have been "totaled" as well and the company would have had to indemnify you.
Don't let the adjuster take advantage of you. Read your policies and understand the coverage's and limitations, know how the premiums are derived and what you can do to lower them.
Thanks, I understand what your saying (I think)..., they wrote me the check for $24,700 (policy was 25k) and I bought the car back from them for 4k, the appraiser they sent to my house to "investigate' the claim said that to get the total amount of the declared value, everything had to be in the original "stock" condition and the wheels and tires that were on it at the time of the accident weren't original. Damn, I loved that car....with the 428 it could smoke the tires at 40-50 mph...every once in a while some putz with fart can mufflers would get next to you and starting farting away....then I would give it he!! and it never failed, they would turn off at the next street and disappear.

Crash and vacation pics 121.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts