Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've finished covering my entire interior with Damplifier (same as Dynamat extreme) and now I'm trying to decided what to do for a firewall pad.

The original was toast when i took the car apart and since I'm doing a restomod I don't care about originality.

So I'm trying to decide what the best approach would be to keep the noise and heat down. The guy at second skin audio says that I should just put their luxury liner pro product down over the damplifier from the firewall back. Others have suggested that a molded firewall pad from quiet ride then the luxury liner product only on the floor from the bottom of the pad back.

What have some of you guys done for firewall insulation?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I bought the repro, ripped off half the thickness of horsehair (it's twice as thick as original) and contact cemented it on. Works well.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
at the time we did our 67 with fact a/c , acoustishield (quietride) was cutting their firewall mats by hand and i was very disappointed--didn't come close to fitting and the cut about an eight inch square hole as a universal heater cut out---i filled the area with dynamat type product---since then , i've heard they have purchased a cnc cutter but have not confirmed the quality
we covered the dynamat with julianoc closed cell foam--a sound deadning product--about 3/16 thick---used 3m # 77 glue and finished the seams with silver tape---the two products on the floor will not absorb water
be careful on how much stuff you put on the inside of thr rocker boxes---we had to remove some insulation from under the carpet as the holes in the thresh hold mouldings would not line up

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the repro, ripped off half the thickness of horsehair (it's twice as thick as original) and contact cemented it on. Works well.
Bob, did you get the flat repro or the molded one?

I spoke to quiet ride and the lady I spoke to told me that they are the ones who make the molded repop that scott drake and others are selling. She wanted $152, but I've seen it at other vendors for as little as $129

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Bob, did you get the flat repro or the molded one?

I spoke to quiet ride and the lady I spoke to told me that they are the ones who make the molded repop that scott drake and others are selling. She wanted $152, but I've seen it at other vendors for as little as $129
Flat I think as it came rolled up in a box. But, it fits pretty well, the backing is kind of foamy/flexible. The holes and features were all die cut. I wasn't aware of a molded one.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Once I got all the original fibrous stuff out I replaced it with the foil-backed rag-based stuff. Seems OK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts