Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am in the process of painting my 1970 XR-7 Convertible. I am installing the eliminator hood scoop. My question is this.. Would it look better painted the same color as the car (gold) or black as the eliminators were. If black, would flat or gloss look better?? Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated.

Kirk

My gallery:

http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=1392&cat=500&thumb=1

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
id go semi gloss as well. i have a Gold 69 and i wouldnt paint the scoop body color even on my car. ( correct details be damned! lol )

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I agree
semi gloss i had mine semi gloss but did a bad job on the paint.Was done by a spray can , didnt look good.So when i repainted my folks`s pickup truck i single stage my scoop gloss blaxk. Looks good but semi gloss is the way to go..
thanks
pat

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Another concern

The hood scoops painted the same color, or gloss black reflect the sun too much. This gets real bad at certain times. I strongly suggest a semi-flat black

Cougar Bill

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Match the color

I painted my Elim repro scoop to match the body. Funny how many more compliments I get with it. And after 10 years I haven't seen this problem of light reflecting back in my face.

Take a look at the member's photo section and go with what you want.

This hobby should be about what *you* want to do and not what *others* tell you to do.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
He`s right
its all that depends on what you wanna do. Because its your car.Black will make it stick out more(if the car isnt painted black or a deep cark color) But its all on what you want .
thanks
pat

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I like mine as it is, body color, white. Glare isn't a problem. IMHO if you aren't going for a Eliminator look (blacking out everything) a black scoop will look like a J.C. Whitney add on.

If you really want a black scoop at least do the 70 black hood stripes so it looks more integrated. Do both in semi-gloss.

Just my 2 cents!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Personally, I'm going with a semigloss black on my scoop and spoiler, and also my grille and taillights. Why? I figure the black offsets the orange I'm planning to paint the car well, it'd look a bit odd with just solid orange and nothing to balance it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts