Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looked at a '71 a couple of times the past two days. Car is '71 XR7 coupe. Very straight body. Only body rust I could find was around rear wheel lips. Frame rails looked good. Chrome trim is good with few pits. Bumpers, especially the front do have a little rust. Car was vinyl top car. Almost all the top has been pulled off(except A frames), with some surface rust under it, but no holes, no bubbles.... Passenger side drop off is great. driver side does have some rust. Floor pans not terrible, but probably should be replaced. Car is complete, however the motor (351C 2v) is out and disassembled. All machine work has been done, bored .030. Heads reworked with new springs, valves etc. Everything is there to put it back together including rebuild kit (new pistons, gaskets, etc. etc.) The only thing missing out of the engine compartment is the engine. Sitting on American racing 15" 5 spoke wheels. Interior seats are decent. Some rips. Dash has typical cracks. Has the original AM/FM radio.Headliner looks almost like new with no sagging, tears, etc. Although some rust, car really does not look like the typical east coast car. I know it is all subjective, (what buyer willing to pay etc. LOL!!), but what value would you guys put on it? Also, if I end up taking a pass, anyone interested in it? Car is located in Winston-Salem, NC area. Owner is in Air Force. He's on leave but must report back the week after Christmas, so wants to get it sold. He does however, have a set price. It is sitting nice and snug in a large garage, along with a '64/5 'stang fastback and a '57 t-bird(supercharged). Wants to sell, but not in dire straits to do so. Thanks for your opinions!
Thanks
Chuck

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Tom here I have a 68 XR7 here 302 J code ac/ ps/ pb out side Gold inside black. 6,500 KTLRestorations Danville VA 434.685.7353 yes I am here Sunday 9am/8pm ps77,000 miles un

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Third Gen Cougars are a different breed of Cat. You either love 'em or hate'em.
I really don't care for them. But if you like it and the price is right, then jump on it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Third Gen Cougars are a different breed of Cat. You either love 'em or hate'em.
I really don't care for them. But if you like it and the price is right, then jump on it.

if you dont have anything nice to say.......dont say anything at all.:zap:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My problem is I want to save every cat I see for sale. I pretty much like them all through '72. Not so much the '73 but that's just because of the bumper I think. I'm supposed to let him know something for sure by tomorrow, but I'm having a hard enough time getting my '70 done so I will probably pass. At least that is how I feel this minute!! Have til tomorrow to change my mind again...LOL!!! Price on this one is $1200 if anyone is interested.

TOM: Thanks so very much for the offer. My very first cat was a augusta green exterior/tan interior '68 XR7 and would dearly love to have another. Coming from you I'm sure it is nice, but unfortunately out of my price range at the moment!
Thanks
Chuck

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
ragcat, the only people who can honestly DISLIKE the '73 front bumper all that much are the ones who remember to take a folding camp chair when they go to car shows. Not being mindful of things like that, I'm thinking of stitching up a seat cushion and back cushion for the bumper/grille area on mine. Not only for car shows; this would come in very handy for parking along the shoreline (or riverbank) and throwing a lure in the water. And, if you can pull up to a riverbank overlooking a deepwater section of the river, removal of the cushion could afford you a very serviceable diving board!

Actually, I think Don explained it best in his response on the Triple-C; for $1200 it caught MY eye! Could be even a better deal since I wouldn't be looking a at sectioning a quarterpanel and welding in used sheetmetal. Unfortunately, my 'disposable income' is awfully small as well.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
if you dont have anything nice to say.......dont say anything at all.:zap:
OUCH. Them there could be construed as RACIN' WORDS....

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL Desert!! That was hilarious!! Only someone with a '73 could get away with saying that.......

Oh the headaches for those of us that were born good looking instead of wealthy!! Huh?:evil:

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Well, the original post asked for an opinion, I'm with you gearhead 3rd gen. cougar doesn't do anything for me, unless it were a 429scj dragpack car.
They never built a 1971 429 Super Cobra Jet Cougar. Regular 429 Cobra Jets only.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
LOL Desert!! That was hilarious!! Only someone with a '73 could get away with saying that.......
Shoot, I'm used to "the look" - my first car (High School, College, Honeymoon and beyond) was a '73 Gran Torino. You didn't see Clint Eastwood making a movie involving a '73, did you? No, you didn't! Any questions?

Oh the headaches for those of us that were born good looking instead of wealthy!! Huh?:evil:
You got Good Looking???? When I was 'optioned up' they said all that was available was A.)Functionally Literate and B.)Good at Crunching Numbers
Wealthy was on back-order, Good Singing Voice wasn't coming back out until the '63 model year and Good Looking wasn't even offered in my "Standard" model class! :eek7:

I just couldn't see myself as a bookkeeper (even though my Mom was a "Budget Analyst" -the Army's civilian equivalent of a CPA); so I ending up settling for Functionally Literate

·
Registered
390 Posts
They never built a 1971 429 Super Cobra Jet Cougar. Regular 429 Cobra Jets only.
<table class="infobox hproduct" cellspacing="5"><caption class="fn" style="">
</caption><tbody><tr class=""> <td colspan="2" class="" style="text-align:center;">
1971 Mercury Cougar</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Model years</th> <td class="" style="">1971–1973</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Assembly</th> <td class="" style="">United States: Dearborn, Michigan</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Body style</th> <td class="category" style="">2-door coupe
2-door convertible</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Layout</th> <td class="" style="">FR layout</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Engine</th> <td class="" style="">351 cu in (5.8 L) Windsor V8
351 cu in (5.8 L) Cleveland V8
429 cu in (7.0 L) Super Cobra Jet V8.</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Wheelbase</th> <td class="" style="">112.0 in (2,845 mm)</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Related</th> <td class="" style="">Ford Mustang</td></tr></tbody></table>Call it what you want but in 71 they were all 4bolt mains.

·
Registered
390 Posts
</caption><tbody><tr class=""> <td colspan="2" class="" style="text-align:center;">
1971 Mercury Cougar</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Model years</th> <td class="" style="">1971–1973</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Assembly</th> <td class="" style="">United States: Dearborn, Michigan</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Body style</th> <td class="category" style="">2-door coupe
2-door convertible</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Layout</th> <td class="" style="">FR layout</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Engine</th> <td class="" style="">351 cu in (5.8 L) Windsor V8
429 cu in (7.0 L) Super Cobra Jet V8.</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Wheelbase</th> <td class="" style="">112.0 in (2,845 mm)</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Related</th> <td class="" style="">Ford Mustang</td></tr></tbody></table>Call it what you want but in 71 they were all 4bolt mains.
A 4 bolt main CJ is just as well, the S is trivial.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
A 4 bolt main CJ is just as well, the S is trivial.
Your source is flawed in two ways.

1. I have yet to see a 351W in a post 1970 Cougar.
2. 429 SCJ in Mustangs and Torinos.

The 429 "Super" Cobra Jet is not trivial, to those that know.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
You got Good Looking???? When I was 'optioned up' they said all that was available was A.)Functionally Literate and B.)Good at Crunching Numbers
Wealthy was on back-order, Good Singing Voice wasn't coming back out until the '63 model year and Good Looking wasn't even offered in my "Standard" model class! :eek7:

I just couldn't see myself as a bookkeeper (even though my Mom was a "Budget Analyst" -the Army's civilian equivalent of a CPA); so I ending up settling for Functionally Literate
Yeah, I got that----in a warped sort of way only a mother could love...LOL!!!! Unfortunately, when they asked about the brains option I thought they said trains and said "No thanks. They are too loud......"

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
My '71 std left Dearborn with a 351W.
It's long since went 'BOOM' and been replaced with a 302, but it was there at some point, and when money permits, so will another one.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the 351W was standard up to '72, when the 351C became the standard motor, but I can't find the article.
Maybe one of the gurus can clear it up.

I have yet to see a 351W in a post 1970 Cougar.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts