Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 69 XR-7 convertible, she is red with white interior, white top, and a black racing stripe. I am getting a new top put on it and am wondering if I should go with white or black. White would match the interior... but black would match the stripe. I just don't want to invest in a black top if it is going to look silly.

Just aesthetics... but in the end aesthetics are important too, I'd appreciate any feedback. :)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Personally, I think keeping your exterior co-ordinated is the most important thing. Go with a black top. Not too mention you're black top will still look black a year from now. If you go white, you'll have a heck of a time keeping it white...

·
Registered
215 Posts

did it come with a white top and black racing or pin
stripes
i have y code car that l wish had a white top,white is a lot sharper than a black. and you got white seats
that 2 times sharper.

I could keep it original.

good luck

·
Registered
448 Posts

I have had both black and white tops on my 69 XR7 Convertible. I currently have black, but I will eventually go back to white. When I replaced the top frame the black top came with it. The white definitely looks better with the white interior. The black top turns the car into an oven the minute you put up the top. I never really though about that because in the warm weather the top is generally down when cruising. But as soon as you put up the top and roll up the windows it gets real hot real fast. As far as keeping it clean goes, the black top is a little better, but anyone who has ever owned a black car will tell you, it's not as easy as you think to keep it looking good. The green layer of pollen that I awake to every morning here in the woods of NJ looks just as bad on black as it does on white. Proper care and maintenence will keep any decent quality top looking good for a long time. As far as aesthetics goes that is all personal preference. In my opinion my car looked twice as sharp with the top matching the interior as it does now. The white top was far more striking than the black one is. Whichever color you chose, spend the cash to buy a good quality top. They last longer, fit better and are easier top keep looking good.
Good luck,
Paul G.
http://home.sprynet.com/~pamar/cougar.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts