Mercury Cougar Owners banner

What color(s) should I paint wvcat

• Stock Color Combo (white with blue top & pinstripes)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Blue Eliminator clone again

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Custom (pearl, candy or flake)

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Custom colors & stripes

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I am going to start on wvcat real soon for paint and I have to decide how I'm going to paint it. I'm undecided for a couple of reasons. First, the original color is wimbleton white with a blue vinyl top & pinstripes:( and I just don't think I'll care for it. Second, while she looks good comp blue I'm kinda tired of it(about 10 years now). I am thinking of painting it a nice metallic blue, doing an eliminator clone scheme with non stock colors, doing a custom(pearl or flake), doing a custom stripe job on it(3 or 4 colors) or some combination of the above. I am capable of doing either and I have had experience (I worked at a custom paint shop) but I'm not sure what would look best. When you go to a cougar show the cars are great but...there is a limited amount of non stock or flashy colors(except eliminators). Is there any opinions out there? Remember the interior is blue.
Thanks in advance
John
wvcat

PS: The roadrunner is getting paint on saturday, then its cougar time in the garage!!!! :D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
John, I always liked grabber blue, but I also get a lot of compliments for the med blue metalic on my Cougar.

If you could get it straight enough I think black would be good, I have not seen many black Cougars. Black out the tailights and grill, would look good to me but I cant picture how the blue int would look with it, but I think it might go fine with it. What everyou do no vinyl top. mm

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Hey John! Right now it's 100% pearl. I like the color now, but why not live it up? Still waiting to hear a reply on that one summer being a year for a paint job!:1poke:

:D Chuck

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about doing a black with comp blue eliminator striped clone type combo but I don't think the hood stripe would look right. I've also seen some newer factory pearl white caddy's running around, nice color but it looks a little bit like an ivory white base color. Hmmm... Hey Chuck got that cat on the road yet its cougar fever time...lol I can't wait to light em up again, its been about 6 months!!! Are you planning on painting yours this summer?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
why not go with a black base with a blue pearl shot over it??? i think it will look cool. if you want it a little flashier, shoot another shade of pearl over it too. id say red, but that will get you a Violet color of sorts..... too Moparish ( i like Mopars, its not a bash ) or you can go with a white base with a Blue Pearl over it. shoot a few test panels and see how much you want on there though. i wouldnt go with a white pearl though, it will get that beige color though. you are limited by what you can do given that its a blue interior, but i think that white with the blue pearl will look nice. then get the Eliminator scoop and shoot them black with a blue pearl over it. id just leave the spoilers semigloss black. im full of opinoins, let me know what you think

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
one more thought... why not something like the House of Kolor Cobalt blue candy?? it would look killer man.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
A modern blue metalic or burgandy metallic from BMW range would look nice. If you look at Logan's gallery burgandy metallic has other qualities about it as well

I quite like the blue on the Falcon below which is a slightly lighter shade of the current BMW 3 series coupe range

·
Registered
210 Posts
I used to have a black cat with blue guts, it didn't look bad together. I think that a real flashy blue with the Eliminator stripes "ghosted" in the paint would be awesome. Even the black with a blue pearl would look sweet...

·
Registered
168 Posts
A nice blue

I painted my old cat a ford color called royal blue metallic. <a href=http://clubs.hemmings.com/sofordclub/images/gallery2/er97634.jpg>Click here</a> for a picture. It is a really deep blue but there are three shades to choose from.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
color of cat

why not try grabber green or coral? those are two colors you hardley ever see

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow!!!! Great response everyone:)
As it stands I am still undecided between the last twochoices in the poll or some combination of them. My car is straight enough for black but its not a color I'm in love with. with black you have to really want it for it to be worth it in my opinion. I'm not sure what the blueberry color is shufflecat but that sound interesting. I've looked at the house of color colors on line but the pictures probably don't due justice for the actual colors so thats still up in the air. I was thinking seriously about a clone stripe job with a blue similar to the falcon leon, and stripes the brightest silver I can pick from the paint book. I also thought of the flip side, silver with blue flakes and blue metallic stripes....hmmm:confused: I still have some time to think it over and decide, I'll let you all know. I was planning on doing a detailed picture page(s)but my digital camera broke and I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on one right now.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
John the silver is a good idea! Why didnt I think of that. I have a silver 97 Intrepid and I just love the color, its a med, really bright silver with really deep metallic. Check it out. mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
wvcat said:
and stripes the brightest silver I can pick from the paint book.
why choose a paint book color??? all you will get is an impure silver. something with some blue in it or white in it, and that will make it dirty. if you want a really bright silver, just have the paint store mix up some fine aluminum flake with some binder and shoot that for your stripes. pure. simple. and it will look great. id stay away from a course flake as i think it will look funny.

·
Registered
364 Posts
getting close to coin toss time, John?

Having just gone through this same thing, I got it down to two colors (the red and blue) and felt like only a coin toss could decide it. Then I realized that if I tossed a coin and the red lost, I'd regret it. That's when I realized I wanted the red. Of course, my wife is SOOOOOOO pissed off at me for not picking the blue, but, hey, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

The blue I have is a great color, John, and would go very well with your interior. It's a medium-light greyish blue. I could mail you the sample shot they did for me if you're interested. Email me.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Yeah what MM said...... and black stripes with blue flip-flop

OH OH OOH:D :D

Don

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks Chas but I think the blue I'm planning on using is a darker so it will be more dramatic against the silver or white that I'm still kicking around. I think the final decision will be a combination of blue similar to Leons Falcon with silver or white trim and maybe some extra flake or pearl in the clear...Thats the way I'm leaning right now but things can change.
John
wvcat :D

·
Registered
889 Posts
new paint color

I was talking with this guy about painting my 69.I want to keep it the current black I said I kinda like the stealth look it presents now that the spoiler and the scoop are on.Hr said "Hey URBAN CAMO is the way to go". Or paint it black again.I thought that line was greatI had to share it. Dan:p:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts