Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 68 XR-7 GT for sale. The car has been almost completely restored. It has a rebuilt 390 and transmission. No rust, all rusted metal replaced, no bondo. The car needs front seat covers but the rest of the interior looks great, bypassed heater core, middle bulb of one sequential does not work and has a small cowl leak. The car was originally yellow but has been repainted black. Does the non-original color take much away from the cars value? Does the middle bulb out mean I would need a new sequential setup? How rare or desireable is the GT package? The cowl leak scares me the most. The owner says he did not have the leak when the car was redone but it has just started recently. How major of a problem is that? What would be a good price for a car in this condition? Any opinions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hmm

First of all tell us how much he wants for it.Being that the heater core is by passed he probably thought that was the leak,or you live in a warm climate and you dont need heaters.Color chops down the price for those original guys.But it has a big block,Get his price.We dont have much to work with.:1poke:

·
11,000 Posts
A 68 390GT is a pretty desirable car. If the color was a popular one, changing it would hurt the value. Since the color was originally unpopular yellow and is now more popular black I think it helps value.

Check the floor pans carefully for rust and look to see if they used old real estate signs or galvanized corrugated roofing to make repairs. If it looks professionally done and is not rusting again where the repairs were performed, think about buying the car. Check under the trunk mat, remove the back seat lower cushion and check there for shoddy repairs or hidden rust.

Those cars are going up in value, check http://www.nada.com for collector / antique car prices.

My guess is $4500 - $9500 if it looks nice and does not need more rust repairs. The cowl leaking is scary, lay under the steering column and look up with a flashlight to see how rusty the cowl is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is asking 6500, but says he is negotiable and needs to sell. The bodywork and paint was done by a local shop that has a reputation for doing excellent work. The leak in the cowl is what is making me hesitant. When checking from under the steering wheel will I be able to see actual rust through where it is leaking or is there a trick to finding it? The paint is actually two tone. The rockers are silver, he said it was a paint scheme used on a different model (possibly the GTE I dont remember exactly what he said).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, I'll tell you this, if I had $6,500, I would snatch that kitty up pretty quick, considering all that has been done. With the sequentials, is the bulb just bad? If it's a good bulb, then it could be a possible wiring problem. Heater core, as you've probably seen in the other threads, is possible, but will take some time and patience to replace. As for the cowl leak, how bad is it? Is it minor drips? My car seems to be in about same condition as yours, I paid 7000 for it, and it's got a 302. Wish I could have gotten the big block for my money.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Like royce said check for rust crawl around up and under the car and use a good maglight to look in the crevices. I too would be leary with the cowl leak. the bad heater core is not that bigh a deal just time consuming. but when you figure he needs to sell my pickyness comes down as the price drops. I will accept a whole lot more on a 2500.00 car than a 6500.00 but when you figure the engine rebuilt is a couple of those thousand and if your willing to do the work yourself then i would say go for it but try and bring him down to around 5000.00 and quote the suspected leaks. Another thing is you said the car was done by a respectable shop but that shop only does as much as the owner pays them to do so if he didnt pay to repair the cowl vent they wouldnt do it.. get my drift. Rust is the biggest concern now i dont worry much about it because i am a fabricator but unless you have the skills body work is very expensive to repair if you mess up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts