Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know for certain where the battery cut off switch was mounted on the 67-68 Trans-Am race cars? I've heard the antenae hole in the fender but have since seen this to be false. I am going for the trans_am look with my 70 cougar. But since there were no factory team cougars that I know of in 69 or 70, I am sort of making my own. But I would like the end result to have some flavor of the factory race cars.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Cool, I would love to see pix. Do you have the Boss 302 suspension build book. I just got it and holy cow, it's awesome. It gives a real good plan on Trans-Am'in the Cougar. I might be going that step on my 70. First is a few blasts down the 1/4, then road courses if it's not good enough,lol.

Rick

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
WELL, LET US KNOW..??

WHERE IS THE FUEL CUTOFF SWITCH LOCATED ON THE 67 TRANS AM COUGARS??:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have done almost the whole suspension on the car except rear leafs. i relocated the upper cont arms, installed new shaft kits, new ball joints, and spring perches. for the perches i used a set out of a 64 falcon, which if you didn't know, have a solid shaft qwith a greasable brass bushing pressed into the perch body. if you don't mind feeling the bumps in the road, I think this is the only way to go if you use stock type parts. I also boxed in the upper & lower cont arms by welding some 16 guage sheet steel that i cut and fit to the control arms. kind of like the first stuff from global west. for springs i used a set from a big block air cond. car. they are new, and i cut out about 2 5/8 of a coil to get the ride height where it should be. i also use a set of tall 65-66 mustang front shock mounts. this gives a little more shock travel and doesn't hit the bottom of the hood. only works on 69 & 70 cars. i have yet to weld up the seams in the eng compartment since ive only had the car 3 mos. and am planning a fresh motor this winter so ill tackle the welding while the eng comp is empty. im using 1 1/16th front sway bar with poly bushings and kyb's . for wheels i've got some 15 x 8.5 mini lites with 265/50/15 dunlops. had to trim some of fender but not too much. also has 16:1 manual steering which sometime sucks in a tight parking lot. I'll be posting a pic or 2 in the near future.

as for the fuel pump cutoff, i'm using an aftermarket manual pump.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Boxing the control arms are a good move, I used to do the same on my early dirt cars. I do not mind having to cut coils out of springs, but you do realize that you raise the rate of the springs when you do that right? 2 and 5/8 coils cut could raise the rates as much as 100 lbs maybe. mm

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
MM...what do you mean by cutting the coil will raise the rates?

Just curious....

Dale

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Dale, it just as I said, when you cut coils out of a spring it gets stiffer. For example a 500lb spring with one coil out will increase in rate, depending on the free height and coil diameter. mm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts