Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone
I have an electrical issue. Just completely rebuilt my 351w and I installed a 100 watt Powermaster one wire alternator. I found out today that my headlights don't come on but the two smaller lights below the grill do. I'm assuming its because nothing is going into the voltage regulator anymore. How do I re-wire my headlights so that they work?

Also having a fuel pump issue. Not getting any fuel from the pump to the carb. Replaced the pump and still no fuel. Does the fuel pump arm go above or below the fuel pump essentric on the cam?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The pump arm has to go under the cam eccentric....do a search for the G alt conversion on here, I think you will find plenty of good posts/info

·
11,000 Posts
Are you sure the headlight wiring is connected? The parking lamp wiring comes from the headlight switch so the power is there. Has zero to do with your alternator wiring.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll double check the wiring. I'm still trying to get the motor started. I pulled the fuel line from the tank and fuel came out so then I pulled the line from the inlet on the fuel pump and I have fuel there too. But nothing going from the pump to the carb. Just replaced the fuel filter a week ago with a clear one from napa and no fuel squirting into it. Just replaced the fuel pump yesterday too. The car has sat since February when I started the rebuild. Only thing left i can think of is that the fuel line/sending unit is clogged somewhere. Is that a possibility even though I have fuel at both ends?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Hmmm - wouldn't think so - but stranger things happen. Try opening it up n both ends and shoot some compressed air down through it....maybe a bug or something got in there?

·
11,000 Posts
Often rust collects in the steel line that runs from the tank to the pump. You will get some fuel through if it sits long enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts