Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an extra-bright bulb on my rear taillight assembly that is even brighter when the brake is on.

The weird thing is that I completely changed out the rear harness and signal switch last week and it is still exactly the same!

I am 99% sure it is the right bulb. If this is a ground problem, where should I be looking?

Thanks for any thoughts!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you switch the bulb with another one?
Well now let's not get all engrossed with logical problem-solving here ;)

I didn't. I had the car up on the lift and couldn't reach..now I'm stuck at the office. I should get out of the habit of askin' dumb Qs when not out in the shop!

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Well now let's not get all engrossed with logical problem-solving here ;)

I didn't. I had the car up on the lift and couldn't reach..now I'm stuck at the office. I should get out of the habit of askin' dumb Qs when not out in the shop!
Dang it! that's just about as technical as I can get! And I was pretty proud of my idea too... :lolani:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
if juggling the bulbs doesn't work ' you'll find if you take the light assys apart that the reflective surface is bad in all or part of the reflector--look for a craked lens or gasket--if the lens is cracked try installing it down so it doesn't allow the water in---repaint the reflectors with krylon chrome paint--polish the lens with plastic p0lish or one of the new headlight resore kits
doctordesoto

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you find that it is a different bulb from the rest, post what the bulb # is for the rest of us. Thanks

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it doesn't appear that a power "surge" is a common thing with Cougar Taillights/brake lights?

Hopefully it is just a bulb. My lenses are all really nice and there isn't much wear or fading in the intrerior chrome either..

Film at 11:00

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you find that it is a different bulb from the rest, post what the bulb # is for the rest of us. Thanks
It was the wrong bulb..turns out 1% chance can be a big chance, sometimes..

It was a 5154 or a 6154..shoot, now I can't remember exactly! But it was an XX54. I think..

I'll look it up again in the near future

·
Registered
913 Posts
Dang Brian, You aint no help at all, LOL. I am ready to install the bulbs in my cougar, and if they are brighter I would like to use them instead of 1157s if you know for sure what # they are. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts