Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry:

Well.... I guess I'm venting. Just got my front shock towers replaced, and felt good about it....... But while the work was being done, he shows me some small cracks in my upper control arms....... Ok. Then Crappy air shocks in the rear decide to go pfffffffffffffffft and I'm saggin again....... I kinda dig the wide tires and the Centerline "Drag" look, so I'm looking at KYB gas shocks..... and maybe, I don't have to replace the leafs..... I don't know....... Seems each day, that 3500 dollar bodywork/paint job gets further and further away.

How do you guys do it? Are you all rich kids?!?!?!?

Me? I'm just a working family man, But I'm IN LOVE WITH THIS CAT!!! All the squeakin and rattling fades away when that 302 idles and purrs.

A friend says, "just think, after you get it all fixed up, and pour $40,000 into it, you could get like $15,000 for it........."

After swinging a wide left hook and almost grazing his jaw, I say, "I wouldn't take $15,000 for it even now!"

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I totally hear you on that. I have 2 on the go, and they arent even CLOSE to being done, but one moves. Its the love of cars, and the hobby, and the satisfaction of all the work that goes into it. I do all my own work, I cant afford to pay anyone to do it, so I do it all, weld, rebuild, replace, paint, etc. Even if only one person looks at it and says, OMFG, thats awesome, it made my day :)

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Dig,
it doesnt take 40,000 to build a nice street car. you could spend just a little of a 1/4 of that n be driving a great car.We are all a family, we help out others in need when they need help and advice.Replacing the leafs isnt that big of a problem, but air shocks well there was a posting back about what air shock could do to the body.A new set of leafs and a set of shocks will make it as good as new.Your upper control arms i wouldnt try to repair. Be cheaper to find a set rather then repair them.plus it be alot safer as well, then you can have em cleaned and painted up n then install them n your ready to go.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
519 Posts
You're not the only one. ;)

I have $500 bucks worth front suspension I was going to have installed until my mechanic told me that I needed a new fly wheel and starter. So I guess my front end will have to wait awhile!:mad:

It's funny how you have this list of things you want to do to your car and it keeps changing. I just keep my sights on how it's all going to come together someday, one way or another. :)

I'm curious about your front shock tower replacement (one of those things on my list) Did they have to pull the motor to replace those?

And no I'm certainly not rich. I'm a 9 to 5 family man who looks forward to the weekends so I can wrench on my Coug or go cruising :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.... I'm learning, among other things, PATIENCE.

Evil, Yeah, the guy pulled the engine out, and it looks like there were three overlapped sheets that he completely replaced. We talked about welding, but the crack on the driver's side was massive (the previous owner must have been doing car chases in San Francisco or something) so the Mechanic cut out and replaced the whole side. Around $900. total.

I DID do my own alignment job, and I feel great!!!! But of course, I'm taking it easy until I get the upper control arms in, Because the cracks are awfully close to the bolts........ Well, on payday......

·
Registered
794 Posts
All you can do is one thing at a time. I am not rich and rarely have a lot of cash for the cat. When I do, I do my own work to save cash (I like it too). The front suspension was cake. This is coming from someone who was scared to use a spring compressor for the first time.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My wife and I just returned from visiting friends earlier today and we each complained about getting older and losing site of what we want. I told her I wasgoing to skip the long wait and get started on my midlife crisis real early and my Cougar was going to be that crisis.
Now she knows that all of my spare time and money will being going into the garage and she won't have to worry about it inten years.
John B.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Hey man, don't sweat it. Do what you can when you can. Once you get to where you can hop in and take a ride, you will feel different. I've had my 67 for 6 years and it's nowhere near done, but it's to the point where I can hop in, turn the key and take a ride and that makes it all worth it..

Bruce

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yep,

The whole point is to get in, turn the key and go. Improvements should happen at one's leisure, not necessarily compound on top of other improvements. I know how one thing leads to another. I took the dash pad off to debug a non-operational turn signal indicator. During this chore, the under cowl insulation disintegrated, so I'm now in the middle of rectifying this. I've almost convinced myself I have to pull the lower dash to do this right, but I've been procrastinating in the hope an easier solution is going to somehow drop in my lap :).

I want to drive this car! Instead, I've decided to re-dye the dash pad, and repaint some of the plastic around the steering column. I'm knee deep preparing all of this. As long as the dash is out, I might as well put in the Custom Autosound which means I have to fabricate a mounting platform for the rear speakers/amplifier/CD changer to be located in the trunk. I have to wonder what else will invite itself onto my to-do list before I'm through? Did I mention I want to drive the car? I've now set my sights on having it ready by the summer. I better get busy...

Steve C.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
So Steve. You fallen prey to the dreaded "might as well, as long as I'm"... I hate it when that happens..:D :D

Bruce

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Hey Dig,

I'm like Rick in that I do all my own work. It definately keeps the costs to a minimum. But, what really is the minimun? By minimum, I mean I'm only paying for the cost of the parts. It puts no limits on the number of parts I buy. I'm no rich guy by any means, and have a family to consider as well.

It's tough to start up on a project because it seems like EVERYTHING needs to be replaced. Here's where your patience and discipline will definately pay off down the road. But, bear in mind, it never really ends. For example, mine's been restored once already and it's been considered a show car/driver for 20 years. But, I'm always trying to keep the car fresh and thus make modifications that are current with todays trends.

It sounds like you really have a passion for this car and why shouldn't you? For that reason alone, you just have to stick with it. One way that I keep motivated especially when I have a major rebuild going on like I do now, is to plan what I want to accomplish each day in the shop; even, if it's just one small thing. Eventually it's going to have to get done anyway. I also try to plan to do one big job and two small jobs each weekend (the only time I get in the shop lately). I'll usually start off with one of the small one first just so I can say I accomplished something. Then I'll dive into the major one and keep at it until it's finished. Then I finish up with the other small one. By doing the small ones too it starts to look like you're getting somewhere.

I know all of this is easier said than done. But, it's what works for me and I thought I'd share.

Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow...two small jobs and one big one, in one weekend... I'm lucky to get the small job halfway done:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well said.

It is definately a labor of love working on our old junk.
There is no financial return but one day all your hard work will be rewarded.
You'll stand back and look at your junk and it will dawn on you that what you have worked so hard on is now cool. :)
This usually happens after a big investment of time and money has come together and you have succesfully completed your goals.

By the way. They are never finished.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Cranman, You need to know that there are probably 1,000 small jobs waiting to get done on mine. It's easy to find one or two to do.

An example would be, putting the windshield wipers back on or putting the license plates back on. The major one for this past weekend was mounting, and wiring the remote electric door solenoids and relays.

Sorry, digthe cat. I don't want to hijack your thread so I'll stop now.

Mark

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mark,

This wiring project sounds a little interesting. Was this a remote door opener???

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Well just got back from the chrome plater two bumper's and a air cleaner lid $1075.00 Somebody take me out back and shoot me... Well I hope it go's good with that $11,000 + paint job!! I can't chrome and I can't paint so what can I say. Am I rich, NO.... To show how much I like the cougar I sold my 428scj Mach1 and my limited edition 92 mustang with 36,000 mile's on it to finance this project.... Hell I guess I am nut's. Jon

·
Registered
180 Posts
I prefer the term PASSIONATE.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I think someone said I was just passionate....
Jon

1 - 20 of 31 Posts