Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could someone help with a fix for one slow sequential turn signal?
i have a video tape of the cougar i'm buying soon and in the video the right turn signal is slower than the left. It also stays on after the last light is lit about one second longer than the left.

would replacing it with a complete electronic system from cougars unlimited be the answer? is there somthing that can be done that is easier and less expensive?

thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
406 Posts
I would say replace it. The sequentials work like little distributors. A little motor spins a rotor and hits little contact points. When electricity passes through these points each light is lit in turn. What can happen is after time the little motors start to burn out and this is what I suspect is wrong with yours. Now that the motor is weaker it's slowing down and hanging itself up on these little contact point and that's why it stays on longer. The best way to fix it is just buy yourself a new one. A less likely problem is that some debris has found its way into the system and is preventing the rotor from spinning at a proper speed, but this is unlikely being that the units are sealed up really well. - Chad

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Sequentials

Personally, I'd go with the electronic replacement. Less stuff to go wrong.

You didn't specify what year your new car is. It does make a difference.

Those early units had a motor that had the contact points on a wheel. As the motor would turn, the contacts on the wheel would connect and your lights would sequence. The problem with that setup is that the contacts would get worn or dirty and then you'e get weird looking lights. Either that or the motor would burn out. What a headache!

Later they tried going with timers and relays, but again, the relay points would arc and stick and again you'd have funny looking lights.

For my Alpha Cat, I had a friend design and build a solid state sequencing unit. It works great, but it was a one-off deal. This was almost twenty years ago. You can imagine how far our electronics technology has progressed since then!

I'm not 100% certain when the sequencing stuff changed over. I've only had 71-73s and they are of the relay type. I think I have one spare sequencing unit laying around in my parts pile somewhere from a car I had parted out. I can't remember how well it works though!

Like I said, get the electronic unit. It even uses the factory plugs, I believe. The last I heard, they were going for around $89.95, right? Small price to pay if you ask me!

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Another option before you spend any money would be to
clean all the connections on the harness plugs and sockets. Might
make a difference and save you some $$$$

·
Registered
59 Posts
I recommend checking the contact points. My 68 xr7 was doing the exact same thing, and sometimes, it would even get suck and the lights would not work at all! The sequencial mechanism that is on your cat is probobly a camshaft/ distributer type of thing. Sometimes that cam can get dirty and this in turn affects how long the lights stay on or off. Try cleaning your contact points. It's not an expert's word, but it worked for me!:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a FACTS & FEATURES book for the 1969 cats and It states that there are no moving parts in the 69 model and that it has transistorized timers. I did open mine up to clean it, but there was no motor in it. Big transisters in it. The turn signals on my car where working slow and one side was a little slower ( but no sticking). I chainged the flasher with the emergency one and now it blinks to fast.

The year of your car makes a big difference

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Both of my 69s used the old motor and cam system. All of the problems that I encountered with slow flashing were due to bad grounds or the wrong flasher.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts