Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys heard of One Piece Products?
http://www.onepieceproducts.com/

They make a one piece window for the 67 68 Mustang Fastback. No more wing windows. I was thinking it would be sweet if they developed one of their kits for the Cougar. They are not cheap but I would definitely buy a set. I think it would look cool.

I was thinking if I am not the only one then we should let these guys know there is interest in a Cougar kit. I have emailed them. Maybe if they heard it enough they would get on it.

If there is another company making these one piece kits for Cougars, please let me know.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Keep in mind 67-68 Mustang coupe is the same. You could approach them with the production numbers of all Mustang coupes plus all Cougars 67-8 and point out the huge difference in production numbers.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Keep in mind 67-68 Mustang coupe is the same. You could approach them with the production numbers of all Mustang coupes plus all Cougars 67-8 and point out the huge difference in production numbers.
Confused. So 67-68 Cougar is the same as 67-68 Mustang coupe? So how does production numbers play into it then? Edit: nevermind. Making a case for making that flavor, I get it now.

Personally, I think $985 is a lot of coin for two windows and some hardware. But, they compare if you bought everything for the stock setup and it is shown as a savings over that. Not sure how realistic that comparison is.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Personally, I like wing windows.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Vent windows are NOISY, and many LEAK. That's my opinion.

It was a HUGH cost savings to for the factory to rid them of such.

They were nice for DIRECTING air into the compartment though.

Dale in Indy

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Vent windows are NOISY, and many LEAK. That's my opinion.

It was a HUGH cost savings to for the factory to rid them of such.

They were nice for DIRECTING air into the compartment though.

Dale in Indy
Don't forget about the BIG Bad A$$ed bees dumped on your lap...

I'll keep mine anyways

Jean

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I'd like to see this for Ford trucks.... should be a lot less wind noise.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'll second that - I wonder why they disappeared in the first place? I'm guessing to save money on assembly but I do miss them in the cars these days.

X3!! Its a nice option to have for a resto mod though.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is what I was thinking. You can spend $350 each for new wing windows that fit poorly. A bunch of $$$ getting the wing windows rechromed right. About $50 each wing window for all the rubber. Not for the purist to be sure. I think the reason they haven't done the Coupe is because of the stainless frame on the windows. On my project, I have some pretty poor condition wing windows. I am going to have to do something about them at some point. Would be pretty slick with one piece power windows....

Yeah a little research in Cougars by the Numbers and the Mustang equivalent would make a good point. There a lot of potential customers.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Yep, them dare BEEEESSSS. In the 50's heading to Lawrenceville, IL for the World Series of drags, (before National events) a friend was driving in shorts, and you guessed it, a Bee flew up same, and nearly caused him to wreck the 50 Ford.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
This fall I tagged a giant butterfly with the wide-open vent window of my 65 GMC and it splattered greenish goo over my arm, face, and chest. Grody for SURE!

They've had one-piece glass for trucks for -geez- it's got to be going on 15 years now. I'm surprised too that nobody has jumped on the opportunity to make them and call them "restomod" pieces. I wonder if there is an issue with the shape of the door allowing a single window to roll down into it- it would get really tight towards the bottom of the door fronts.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have been playing with carrying the one piece glass a bit further regarding my 41 Buick. It is a very rare model, (Limited) 143" wheel base monster. I have one extra door, and if I had all four, well I would cut up such and PULL all windows FLUSH with the body. I did a test with plexi-glass on the rear quarter window, and it would be so cool, but since I'm NOT about to cut up my original doors, I guess it won't get done.

On my Buick the front doors do curve a tad, so one piece without the vent would be a challenge.

Merry Christmas with a CAPITAL "C"

Dale in Indy

P.S. The Buick rides on 1997 Vette suspension, and new 96 LT-1 Vette crate motor. Did all the work, and enjoy fabricating as much as driving, MAYBE. Driving is still a fun thing, for sure.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are a couple of metal tabs towards the front of the door where the wing window goes in. The front two are larger and are not welded together. I dint think they are structural. I think they are to help with the placement of the wing window. The one skinnier one seems to attach the outer skin to the inner skin of the door. If I recall correctly from the installation video for the fastback, they just cut the tabs out. I guess a different width rubber channel on the weather stripping would allow Cougars to have glass without the stainless trim piece. Maybe the Fastback trim would be a place to start. Then you need felts long enough to run the full length of the door. I have my doors apart and besides those 2 tabs it is clear in there. Even up to the front of the door.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
At the end of part 8 on the 67-68 fastback window install they say they are working on a 67-68 coupe version. I have to say it's a interesting idea and option. I kind of like it too. A bit steep on price though. If they can get it in the $500 range for complete kit I think they'd do well. I'd like to see a set in a Cougar before taking the plunge. I always liked the 1 pc door glass my 70 Mustang had vs the 67-68's vent windows. Would be a little easier for oem and aftermarket side mirror options with the vent windows gone. Cool idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts