Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend of mine owns the Merc9 (http://www.youtube.com/user/Merc9Racer)
monster of a road racing Mercury Cyclone, runs in SCCA Super Unlimited....in any case this car started out as an original Bud Moore Cup car, mid 70's...it's obviously morphed into what it is today but the original 351 Cleve was sitting in his buddies garage in the bay area, no clues as to what where why when or how, he just told me to go get it and that he had no use for it. So I when and dug it out and other than the crazy lookin circle track pan on it it looks like a bone stock Cleve....pull the valve cover and badda boom badda bing! Nice Crower valve train, pulled the plugs and you can see some sort of domed piston in there....
In the imortal words or Monster Garage....."FREEBIE". 001.jpg 002.jpg

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
you dawg you! Congrats. Show us some more pics where you get it tore down more.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I'll give you twice what you paid for it! :evil:

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Very good luck for you, man.
After blowing your windsor, I'd say you could use some luck.

Check some of the internals. You may have something there that you would rather cash in than drop in the 'stang for a simple flip.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had that thought as well. But from a nostalgic point, one of the first hot rods I built when I was a kid was a 67 Mustang fastback that was all black with white Shelby stripes. I took the 351 4v and Toploader out of my buddies wrecked Mach 1 and just drove the wheels off it for a couple of years until I went in the military...sold it to my best friend at the time and somewhere in there he traded it in on a Thunderbird SC! Augh. I did a vin search and it disappeared, got cut up or parted out or something. So I always wanted to kind of re-create that ya know? A simpler time in life when cruzin and racing on the Fremont strip was the biggest thing I had to worry about in life....
So we'll see what happens....if a Toploader comes my way then I'll consider it fate!

·
Registered
307 Posts
bullitt5.jpg Alright I'll say it. Ok Lt. Frank Bullitt, if you do get it together maybe do a deal like that. "Yup it's the long lost small block car" :evil: just kidding. Congrats on the motor and good luck with the install! Bosscat40

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol...well, I'm gonna get rid of a few things off the Cleve.. oil pan, dist, monster clutch. I'll put them in the for sale section if anyone is interested...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so pulled it apart this morning. Has a straight up Cleve crank, DOAE rods that had the beams polished and shotpeened, ARP bolts, Venolia pop up pistons, solid cam, passenger side lifter bores are sleeved for oiling. The block and crank had every little imperfection/casting flash removed. Lots of oil drain back work done. Heads are look to be Boss 351, they have the slightly larger "quench" chamber, but it's not really relavent. Looks to have a Boss 351 harmonic balancer from what I remember. Bearings and cylinder walls look really good, the only minor thing is that I can't tell if the pistons are oversized or not, no markings other than "Venolia 351C" on the backside of the piston. And there is a little play piston to cylinder wall wise...
Who knows, check it all, new gaskets and seals, throw some 110 in it and see what happens!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Schweet !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts