Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have traced the little blue wire with the red line everywhere..ha
This is what I need help with DASH LIGHTS::::my turn signals work, emergency flashers work, headlights work, horn works and radio works all under dash lights work to include door lights. Oil light works, fuel gauge works..I've tested the voltage regulator, it is still good, I only have two wires to follow and they go under the carpet to somewhere I have not found just yet...Every time I turn the headlights on no dash lights, when I turn the dimmer to make the interior lights come on....blink there goes the fuse...I went through ten fuses today with no luck...I removed the headlight switch took it apart cleaned it out put it back in and still no luck..Any clues??????? Thanks Lance

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Sorry I can't help you with the dash light problem but the wires that go under the carpet most likely lead to the light in the shifter.

Good Luck with the other problem.

Mark

·
Registered
588 Posts
Check the radio wiring. It's a common mistake to have the power & ground wires from the radio connected to the power & dash light wires that are in the original harness. Most folks figure that the second wire is ground but it isn't. The original radio got its ground from the dash.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Bruce after looking at wiring schematics for hours on end it came to me..I installed my own radio and I used the cagar lighter for power and ground so I checked my wiring and had it backwards, I had the power to the ground so I disconnected it it and they work fine....thanks for the in put......Lance

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well now i have another problem my headlights come on for a few seconds then shut off any suggestions........lance

·
Registered
588 Posts
The headlight switch is only rated for 15A. Have you upgraded your headlights to halogen? If not, it sounds like the original problem is still there and the radio intall was just compounding it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts