Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I'm not so new to this forum but this is the first pic I have posted. I took it the day I received it from being shipped.

I was told it had only 20K miles on it but was not sure when I bought it. After all how many 20K cougars are just sitting around. espicially for the price I picked this one up for.

After looking really close I was very easily able to determin that it in fact only has 20K. Every time I go to work on it I can tell it has never been touched. No wrench marks anywhere. The distributor lobes are razor sharp, The carb linkages have absolutely no wear. The front end is tighter than a new bride. Every piece of glass looks brand spanking new. And that goes for most of the chrome too.

It has seen some sun (not much) and has also been repainted. The only real problems (beside the stupid hood orniment some moron put on it, which is no longer there except for a gaping 1/2 inch hole) are things like the break fluid seem to be OEM too if you know what I mean. I'v had to replace things like wheel cylinders, calipers, shocks, master cylinders ans so on.

The car dosen't look quite like this anymore. It's been fitted with a rear deck fin. hood scoop, bullet mirrors, custom steering wheel. I'll detail the under hood area this spring.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
NICE!

Nice looking cat, Over the years I"ve had 3 that exterer color combo. Have fun with it. Neal.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
uh oh, with mine XR7GTs and yours, its attack of the gold Cougars now :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not too partial of the color. I think it looks better in this picture than when your standing in front of it. So I'm going to paint it comp orange. Also that vinyl top has to go.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Sweet:D
How do you guys do it?!?!? 20K original... THAT IS AWESOME!
What did you give for her?( if you don't mind sharing)

Don:ylsup:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
vfret, dont hurt his feelings by telling him you dont like the color, just tell him you like the orange better. I agree with losing the vinyl, how about the whitewalls too? Really nice car though, like he said where do you guys come up with these 20k mile cars like that? I might find a low milage one but it would end up being a 4 door Nash or something!!mm

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
MM,
Orange is a good color... as long as it has the eliminator package. In fact I'd like to have one for my daughter... Her favorite color is Orange.... How's that for a justification for adding another cat to the stable:D

Don

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Not a very good reason if she drives anything like my daughter did with her first car!! That poor little Plymouth was in the ditch as much as it was on the road. It would be a sin to subject a nice Cougar to that!!. At least she is in Texas now where she dont have to (try to) drive in the snow.

Bruter you misuderstood, I meant the other guys with gold cats.mm

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yep....read it wrong...not the first time...not the last I'm sure. Sometimes the English and French dictionaries in my pea brain get mixed up. Sorry about that!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
And the magic number is?

I paid $6,500. And at the time I bought I I thought I was paying too much.

It was really clean when I first looked at it but that something in the back of my head was saying I was out of my mind to think I could find one with only 20K. I tried to suggest that it possibly had 120K in it and the guy almost ripped my head off. I wanted to offer $5,500.

But like I said, I have been all through it and if it's not 20K, then it's really close.

I was told also that there had been no accidents , however, I have found some questionable areas with a magnet.

All in all I'm happy with it. It's going to be bad with an eliminator package on it.

PS Hey Don, your headbanger icon rocks.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Orange? Yes please. There is nothing wrong with a Paint Job on that side of the color pallete. Beats white!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
just out of curiosity, was that questionable area for the magnet around the drivers side 1/4 panel?? around the wheelwell specifically?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I like the color. Anybody that was at the nats last year knows that a houndstooth cat just like this won in the daily driver class. I'll post a pic if it fits. I do agree on loosing the whitwalls though. I agree with everyone else, I couldn't find a car that clean unless it was a 4 door edsel....lol:)

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont hate the color at all. The last posted pic proves the color looks great on on a cat. however comp orange just screams "This car is a hot rod".

sixt9coug,
The really questionable areas are behind the rear wheels that I believe is due to a bad trunk seal that allowed water into the trunk area. However, the magnet also tells me there had been one or two small accidents in the past.

And the white walls were on it when I bought it. I swear.:D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The whitewalls are not so bad as is with the styled wheels and vinyl roof, BUT if you go with the Orange and lose the vinyl they HAVE to go!! :D mm

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The white walls are history. I'll be putting some real meats on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts