Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a decision point. I have a 289 and a 302, unfortunately both smoke quite bad and are in need of top and bottom rebuilds. I am not looking for a performance engine, just a solid daily driver to enjoy.
Any comments about long blocks from the local AutoZone or Schucks that I could install myself, or should I have one of the engines rebuilt by someone else? (I don't want to do a botom end rebuild myself, and finding a reputable person .....).

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
most long blocks have warranties, and in the small print "MUST BE INSTALLED BY A LISENCED MECHANIC" or the warranty is void. I would go for it if its cheaper and they have them there. Maybe even a discount with a core. They are not hi-po motors, just stock replacements, and should be used as one.

Rick

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point on the warranty. I will have to look into that since I am not a "licensed mechanic". Longblocks ar $900 to $1600 depending on options and warranty, but if I have to have someone else do the work, it may not be justified.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Have you asked if you could trade your 302 and 289 for a new engine? Out here you can do trades at Kragen. It might bring the cost down. just a thought.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My car came with a parts store short block ($300 in 94 or 95), and reworked stock heads from another parts store. With the edelbrock performer cam, intake and carb it ran really well, handled higher rpm's, until I messed it up with a botched head replacement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts