Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got the Deluxe Report from Marti yesterday..

DSO was 53 (Oakland) But-
Dealer Number 53A201 Turner Ford Co, Wichita, KS! What the heck?

Is that possibly a typo, or could there have been some sort of trade that happened in '68 with a DSO and a dealership so far away from Oakland? This is strange..I was told that the car has NEVER left the Bay area.

It was a "stock" dealer order type, by the way.

Any Thoughts?

Just as an aside..Here are the options on "Sandy":

Parchment Vinyl Roof; C-4 Auto; Courtesy Light Group; Wide Oval Tires; Whitewall tires
Console; Power Disc Brakes; Power Steering; AM/8 Track Stereo Radio; tinted glass; deluxe belts; remote control left hand mirror; door edge guards; wire wheel covers; front and rear bumper guards.

Pretty nice long list :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The GT-E that I purchased in Saginaw, Michigan, didn't show up as FACT......Then I recalled the dealer in Saginaw, DIDN'T have a GT-E, so he got on the phone and made a deal with the dealer in Battle Creek, Michigan. They traded cars,and cash. I actually picked the car up in Battle Creek, as the salesman drove me down with the new Cougar they were trading him. Jim, then found that the dealer in Battle Creek was shown as the dealer, NOT Saginaw where I paid for the car.

Lots of TRADES/DEALS are made between dealers, always has been the case and always will.

Dale in Indy

e

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yabutt..if this car was sold at a Dealer in the Bay (and it was, I have the original paperwork), how wouldn't the DSO have been MO or KS? Did they actually switch the DSO after the initial order was placed (maybe by the Wichita Dealer?)

Is the DSO assigned first, or the Dealer Number, I wonder?

Thanks,

·
Registered
391 Posts
DSO 53 is the Oakland, CA sales district, so I wonder if your Marti report has an error? The one for my car, sold at the same dealer, lists the correct dealer name and address: Marin Bay L-M Inc. 3rd & Lincoln St, San Rafael, CA 94901, dealer number 53A201.

One thing that I know, in addition to Smith Brother's comment: in addition to trades, sometimes dealers would be traveling, buy a car at a local dealer, drive it home, then sell it. A Ford dealer that I used to hang out at in the '70s and '80s used to do so every once in a while; I remember he brought home a '78 Fairmont (bright red with tan vinyl top and interior, it was kind of ugly) that he'd bought in OH and drove home to Crescent City, CA, and sold from his dealership, Larry Torgersen Ford.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Oh, Brian, I just checked my Mustang...by the Numbers book. On a Ford, DSO 53 is for the Kansas City sales region, so I think whoever prepared your report made an error by looking up the dealer in the Ford table, rather than the Mercury DSO dealer table.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Brian,

My guess is as busy as Kevin Marti and his people are, someone just made a simple mistake as Mercury 6768 suggested. I would think Marti would correct it with no problem.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, ill bet we just found a little "Marti-error". I'd say an Elite report will make up for this huge inconvenience;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts