Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the notification system for us Cali folk resulted in me getting an email with some interesting stuff. it posted a partial VIN for a car that will be getting junked soon. and although its listed as a Ford... the VIN strikes me as being strange... isnt this a COugar body style #?? the 91 is a 2 door hardtop, but i thought that 02 was Mustang 2 door hardtop? either way its an M code... i contacted them already and i want the heads off of this car. to add to the pile i suppose. that and the sequence # starts at 500000.. me thinks it be a Cougar........

Hello, collectors. Below are vehicles scheduled for July 13 delivery in
the South Coast area:

Vehicle: 71 FORD Partial VIN: F25HRJ81
Vehicle: 70 TOYO Partial VIN: RN120091
Vehicle: 69 FORD Partial VIN: 9R91M502
Vehicle: 73 MERC Partial VIN: 3H07H649

·
Registered
59 Posts
a little off-topic

this is a little off topic of your post, but it reminded me of a previous incedent. In May, i believe, of 2001, the EPA tried to pass a bill which would not permit any car older than 1986 (the year most cars went to f.i.) to be driven...anywhere. Meaning all cars, 1985 or older would be destroyed!!!That's bad news for our cougars. But the good news is that the bill was defeated in congress, only one week after its entry into the house. If the bill had passed every stage of the house, we would live in a much different world. Just imagine life with no cougars:( . Like I said, this is a little off topic of your post but your subject reminded me of it....and who's to say that the EPA won't try another stunt like this, and win?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think they will try again, but if we can keep some car guys around then we can stay safe. when you think of it... only 1xx,xxx Cougars were made a year back then. how many of those are still around at all??? when you see that the Toyota Camry is produced at about 4 times that number then it makes ya wonder where the real problem lies. does the problem lie with the 30,000 ( maybe ) or so Cougars that are left from the classic area. or the millions of new cars that will only further deteriorate as time goes by. classic car numbers will only fall more and more while new cars are obviously continually being produced. California saw the light and made 73 and older vehicles smog exempt about 4 or 5 years ago. and i havent seen us have a stage 1 smog alert in a while now.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Based on the VINs given,

Based on the VINs given, it sure looks like that 69 Ford is really a 69 standard Cougar, built in San Jose, with a M code engine (windsor 4V?) Sorry, I'm just a 71-73 freak :p: .

The 71 Ford looks to be a F250 truck

The 73 Merc looks to be a (guessing at 07 body code) Montego with a 351 2V. Could be either W or C, no way to tell from the VIN, but I'd guess Cleveland since the car was built at Lorain OH (second digit assembly plant 'H' where Torino/Montego was built, just down the road from the Cleveland OH engine plant

1 - 4 of 4 Posts