Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the rear leaf springs on my 68 XR7, so now I've got all these old parts. Anyone know what I can do with them?

Also, anyone know where I can get the clock from the dash fixed?

And lastly (is that a word)...I just got new tires and the guy at the place said all the bushings in my front end were shot. I wonder why, they're only 34 years old. So I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions for rebuilding the front end and tightening it up a bit. I know the new bushings alone would help with that, but are there any better parts to use than just stock?

·
11,000 Posts
Go to Mustang Country in Paramount, CA. Talk to Karl, he is the resident Cougar nut. Get full upper and lower control arms and a set of tie rod ends plus an idler arm.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Yeah .... What he said...:D

Don

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Klenzd I repair clocks e me a description of yours. Ray

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
There is a company somewhere that supplies rebuilt/new mechanisms for our Ford clocks. I can try to find the reciept if you're interested. The problem with the original Ford clocks is that the mechanism is a hybrid electro-mechanical. The clock has a mainspring that is wound by a small electric servo. You can tell by the snapping sound it makes every couple of minutes as the servo winds the mainspring. When the servo's relay goes bad, it fries itself out and the clock doesn't wind itself any more. I think the factory type clock movement was $60, and comes with a six month warranty.

That same company also markets a quartz movement for the stock clock. It is a continuous running motor just like any other all-electric clock. The 'problem' with those are that unlike the ticking sound and one-second-at-a-time movement of the second hand, the movement is smooth and continuous. (Tsk-tsk-tsk!Points off at a concours-judged event) The good part, the price of this clock movement is half what the factory type costs ($30), and comes with a better five year warranty.

I put the quartz movement into my wife's 70 Mach 1. I hated seeing that big clock not working any more. It took all of five minutes to do after I got the clock out of the car...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I repaired my 69 clock after getting a couple of pointers from Ray. All it needed was a light cleaning to get 30 years of dust out of it. Now it tick tick ticks like new.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If they were coils you can use them as a mail box post base.But since you dont get snow boat anchors come to mind.With the leafs you could make one serious cross bow.I,m sure Arnolt would like it.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I use old springs as body dollies. If you have a dent or something you cant reach, slide in a springs and use a hammer :) Or make a dinasour out of spare parts. Ive been making one for awhile, using the springs as the ribs :)

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Karl is a good guy.. one of the few there that actually knows that Cougars ( gasp! ) actually have SOME different parts than Mustangs. has saved me trips back and forth a few times when the other guys there would try to sell me Stang parts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
sixty9coug:
Who is Karl? I need all the help I can get in regards yo parts interchange. Baddad

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Royce Peterson said:
Go to Mustang Country in Paramount, CA. Talk to Karl, he is the resident Cougar nut. Get full upper and lower control arms and a set of tie rod ends plus an idler arm.
Karl is the guy who works at Mustang Country over here in CA. im not sure off hand if he has an Email address but it might be worth looking on Mustang Countrys site to see what they have and if you can ask them as well about interchangability. i believe its www.mustangcountryintl.com . he has a Cougar Vert. i believe its a 71-73 black one.. i think that one was his. hes a good guy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
sixty9coug: Thanks for the address, I'll check it out. I guess that I must of had my blinders on, I scanned the earlier posts before asking, but Royce's post just skipped by. sorry-------- Baddad

·
11,000 Posts
Mustang Country's phone number is:
(562) 633-2393
9:00 AM to 6:00 PM PST
Monday - Saturday

Karl Ratkovich also owns a 1970 Australian Falcon with the 351 - 4V CJ engine and of course his beautiful black 1971 Cougar Convertible.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Somehow this thread got springs and clocks mixed. On the clock question, I replaced the movement in my '68 with a quartz movement from Cougars Unlimited. It is easy, looks original, and works.
Tom

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Guess I got lucky. My 33 year old POS ticks and it keeps great time too. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used a polyurathane bushing rebuild kit which covered all of the front end bushings and new lower control arms. It made a dramatic difference in handling!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
FastCat67- which brand of polyurethane bushings did you use? Have you experienced the dreaded "urethane squeeks"? (PST's graphite bushings are supposed to prevent this, and other manufacturers claim to avoid it as well, but I want user testimonials!)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts