Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be picking up my new aquisition soon. A '79 Nova that's been sitting in storage for over 20 years that I've inherited.
I've also inherited the gas in it's tank.
Any ideas on a legal DEC friendly way to get rid of this gas???

Of course :flamer:could be fun if controlled.:evil:

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Before you do that dilution thing make sure to take it to Vancouver and dilute it up there. If you choose to dispose of it in the USA take it to a designated hazardous disposal site, if they won't take it they will know where you can take it. Let your fingers do the walking...
flush it down the toilet....dilution is the solution to pollution

·
Registered
200 Posts
20 year old gas may not be a good idea for the car, it can become gewy if it has been sitting for that long

When I drained my cougar tank a couple years it was only 4 year old gas, looked meh, I mixed it 50/50 with new gas and used it in the lawn mower and it ran fine, I only had 5 gallons of older stuff

I would ask your local fire department with regards to what are approved places for proper disposal in your area or check the yellow pages under Environmental and Ecological Services, or Waste Management. They can do house calls and vacuum it out of your gas tank from your driveway.

I was kidding about the flushing it down the toilet LOL

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
It makes an excellent weed killer. Works great along the bottom of chain link fence. Before anybody gets too uptight about this, it is not uncommon for county road departments to use tank bottoms (the nasty stuff in the bottom of crude oil production holding tanks) to oil dirt roads to keep the dust down. They have done this for decades in oil producing states.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I would never put it on any surface that can leach into the ground water. I always take mine to the local auto scrapper. They have a large tank that is properly disposed of once filled. They don't charge me to empty mine.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
x2 won't hurt anything once it gets diluted and burned.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
take it to the auto part store. They have a tank in the back that you can put all petroleum products in.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually inquired at my local Valvoline, and they declined to take it.
I'm not sure how much is in the tank at this time. It'll be a month or two before I get the car so I've got time to hash this out.
If I use it partially for my tractor, it'll end up lasting till next winter, as I usually do my mowing with my diesel zero turn.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Well, do what you think is right. If you decide to drop the tank, MAKE CERTAIN IT IS EMPTY, lots of fires caused by tanks falling to the floor, spilling and BAD THINGS CAN HAPPEN. A gas tank is hard to control when lots of gas is in such.

When I was a kid in the mid to late 40's I was always building bikes, so needed to clean parts. I would ride my bike to the Shell station 3 blocks away, with quart glass jar in my hand, Shell would fill it for me, then holding in one hand and steering the bike with the other I would ride home. I don't recall ever dropping one, but may have. We washed parts for years in gas, NOT TODAY, HUH. My hands would turn white, and very dry, but we survived. One girl, four boys, all within 6 years, Mother was a saint, Dad would let us get by with about anything.

Times have change, some good, some not so good.

Dale in Indy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts