Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is just now starting what I hope to be a concourse restoration. so far so good. I plan on getting all refurbished chrome. The car is currently at the paint shop. I will be getting new leather intirior some day as the original has some cracks in the front buckets. Now the dash pad that I have looks pretty good but there is a very small tear on the edge of the center speaker grill and what looks like a couple bubbles in the top surface. No cracks or warpage and the dash does not apear to be all dried out. If I purchase a new dash pad will be exact match to the old one? If so what do I do with the old one?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dash is black

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If your old one's in that good of shape Harvey you could use it to fund a refurbed one....I bet somebody wouldn't mind a dried out one that looks really good.

http://www.justdashes.com/

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was just wondering how close a new one would be as far as fit and appearance. This one doesn't seem dry. the only defects in it are a small tear in the edge of the speaker opening and there are three or four what look like bubbles under the vinyl about the size of a pencil eraser.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Ask Don at WCCC (or look at their site) for horror stories of woefully poor packaging on the repro pads which nearly always results in damage to the new pads. If you are dissatisfied with the original you have, and are going concours, buy another, better OEM pad would be my advice.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks, has anyone tried to correct the bubble issue?

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Harvey, It would be helpful if you would post the year of your Cougar.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a 68XR7, I never noticed the bubbles when the windshield was in and may not be able to notice them once it is cleaned and reinstalled with the windshield in again. Just curious as to the quality and fit of reproductions.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Harvey, here's a write up on the repro dash pad from WCCC: www.cougarpartscatalog.com/67dash.html . I bought a good used one with no cracks from Cascade Classic (DrCougar). All I have to do is have mine dyed. You might check with John's Classic Cougars for a good used one, since he is in Holland, MI. John

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Plenty of people raving about the Just Dashes products --- but I've never tried it personally? They claim concours quality....just sayin'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts